Twist rate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not familiar with that Particular Rifle, So I just did some Quick research on it and found 1:48 Twist mentioned a few times.

You can do a Quick and Easy test that will get you Close. If you have a Cleaning Rod (Preferably 1 with a swiveling handle) And a Tight Fitting Patched Jag, Push the Patched Jag in the Bore til it Stops at the Breech Plug, Wrap the Rod AT THE MUZZLE/Crown with a Piece of Tape and Put a Mark on the Tape at Top dead Center, Now slowly pull the Rod Out, allowing the TIGHT Patched Jag to Turn/Follow the Rifling on the Way out. Lets say your Barrel is 24” inches long? Just before you Exit the Barrel Look at where the Mark on the Tape is now Located? If it is Pointing Straight Down, You have a 1:48 Twist. In other words, with a 1:48 Twist, The Rod would Make 1 Complete Turn in 48” inches. Hopefully I didn’t make it sound Complicated, This is simple, and kinda fun to do :lewis:

Back