Two days wait...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
...for this 27 pounds of seasoned/cured jerky meat to see the smoker.

aPsfVZI.jpg

It'll get about 4 hours of smoke and then see the oven on cookie sheets at 190 degrees for a couple hours to help dry it out a bit. This is all sliced about 3/8", the way I like my jerky and when finished I tear off strips to eat. I took a package of last years jerky to a local college basketball game yesterday and ate the whole pack. I thought I'd have maybe three or four strips, but not a chance once I got my chops wet.

Retriver....do you make the cut muscle of the ground and pressed jerky? I'm not a fan of the latter.

I've had to wait for a cool-down. After checking out what Ma Nature has in store for the next week I decided to get started. Sounds like serious meat-handling weather. I have just over 50 pounds of meat for sticks I want to get wrapped up so I'm hoping the cooler stuff sticks around a couple weeks.

I sliced the meat and ran it through the tenderizer before soaking it in marinade. This is the first time I’ve used the tenderizer, and it turned out surprisingly tender compared to what I’ve made before. My only disappointment is the marinade I used. The jerky is pretty bland but still good. I’m going to do some more later this week, and I’m going to try a different “flavor”.

I would love that, but alas...the dreaded gout keeps me from enjoying much wild game meat.

Ive found that alot of the premade jerky seasoning or marinades don't have me adding enough to the meat and are bland. I usually use about 1.5 times as much as the package says to use.

Never, ever found that to be the case with any of Walton's seasonings.

I sliced the meat and ran it through the tenderizer before soaking it in marinade. This is the first time I’ve used the tenderizer, and it turned out surprisingly tender compared to what I’ve made before. My only disappointment is the marinade I used. The jerky is pretty bland but still good. I’m going to do some more later this week, and I’m going to try a different “flavor”.
If you don't mind, what brand of tenderizer do you have? I have been looking at them thinking of getting one, thanks!

If you don't mind, what brand of tenderizer do you have? I have been looking at them thinking of getting one, thanks!
I think I bought mine of eBay. It’s a relatively cheap tenderizer ($35+/-), and it doesn’t do what a “professional“ model will but works pretty dang good in my opinion.
57FAAE7C-EF13-465B-B828-74845EEF4A6E.jpeg

No issues with the hand crank? I was thinking it might be tough working the meat through. I still have a hand crank grinder, not much fun...
The electric tenderizer's are expensive too!

No issues with the hand crank? I was thinking it might be tough working the meat through. I still have a hand crank grinder, not much fun...
The electric tenderizer's are expensive too!
I haven’t done any really thick meat, but 3/4” and thinner runs through it smoothly. I’ve run some pieces that were an inch or maybe a little thicker, and it works but requires more than one pass through.
I use it a lot more than I thought I would, and the hand crank hasn’t been a problem so far.

Back