Two for Two

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky-D

Reaction score
I didn't post at the time, but last year my son got his first deer on his first ever hunt (Oregon Blacktail), with a muzzleloader. He shot it once with my White, and finished it off with his grandmother's Traditions. It was a very respectable three-point buck:
DSC_0048.JPG

Well, I guess he's decided he's a trophy hunter now, because he passed on a forked-horn on the first day this year because it was too small. But what do you know, it payed off, because on day three he shot one of the biggest Blacktail I've ever seen on the hoof (certainly during deer season!):
DSC_0186.JPG

This one only took one shot from my White (60gr of Pyrodex P under a 460gr No Excuses) and he dropped where he stood. It looks like he's qualified for B&C at age 12.... I should have explained to him that he should save these big ones for me -- otherwise it's all downhill for him because he'll probably never shoot one bigger!

Oh well, maybe we'll have to move up to Mule Deer or Elk?

marky-d

Congrats! Hopefully he’s hooked for life now!
I think by default that is now his White after shooting a buck like that with it.

Amazing Blacktail. Congratulation on the deer and the experience to harvest a trophy.

Thanks guys, we're all very proud of him.
I've actually never shot anything but cardboard with the White (or any muzzleloader), so yeah, he's gotten a lot more use out of it than me already. I guess that means I need to buy another one for myself, right? :)

We're really glad that Oregon runs a Mentored Youth Hunt program that allows my son to shoot a deer using his grandfather's tag, without any fees -- even non-resident. It's a great program and I wish more young hunters would take advantage of it.

marky-d

Congrats to your son on a great deer!! And I'm sure the gun now belongs to him.

Reminds me of my daughter. The first deer she shot at she killed at 97 yards with a 20ga rifled slug and it was bigger then any deer I had ever gotten to this day. I told her she just didn't realize what she had just done. It cost me a lot. I mounted the deer for her and gave her my slug gun.

Hmph. I had to break it to my son last night that his buck doesn't qualify for B&C after all -- not because it's not a big enough Blacktail, but because he shot it a few miles too far East! According to B&C, that difference of a few miles makes it a "Mule Deer" instead of a "Columbia Blacktail", even though we don't have any Mule Deer anywhere near that area!

Oh well, it doesn't change the size of the trophy or the taste of the venison...and as my son told me, "it's still bigger than any of yours!"

:)

Please pass on the congrats to the young man! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a trophy hunter. :lewis:

Latest posts

Back