Two optima pistols

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, after I finally got my Optima V2 pistol, a friend told me that her late husband had several bp guns and sold me the lot for a really good price. One of the pistols was this older, scoped Optima. Looks like the only difference between these two is the breech lever, is that right?

Attachments

• IMG_20230313_100511012.jpg
    IMG_20230313_100511012.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
The model with button on the front is what they refer to as a “V1” or version 1 and the other with the whole trigger guard that drops down to open the breech is referred to as “V2” or version 2….I have a V1 and it is a lot of fun and way more accurate than I originally thought it would be. They’re super comfortable and fun to shoot and easy to clean compared to other pistols of similar build. If interested in selling either of them I’d be interested in buying one or both for family members.

Every source I've found lists the same recommend and maximum loads for the V1 and V2. Here's an old article about the V1 that made me decide to purchase my V2.

http://www.woodsnwater.net/articles/2013/10-oct/fun-shooting
When loaded with heavy, full bore slugs these pistols become real hand cannons. Using 400 grain lead bullets, I've tested (published allowed maximum) loads that rival the 454 Casull.

With lighter bullets in sabots or big lead slugs it is the most accurate BP pistol I've ever shot off a bench rest. Much more accurate than I can be.

Latest posts

Back