Typical accuracy. TC Hawken(s)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2 pre warning Hawkens. One flint, the other percussion and both 45' s. The caplock has some tool marks in the bore. Nothing terrible, but enough to cut patches. Still, she shoots right around 2 inches for 3 rounds at 50 yards. The load is a Hornady .440 ball and 60 gr of 3f Swiss. The patch is ticking lubes with bore butter. Bore/ groove is .450/.460
The flint has a very smooth bore, but is a tad looser with the same load compared to the cap lock. This one shoots closer to 3 inches for 3 rounds at 50. Now I don't do my best work with flinters, but the accuracy with both rifles seems a bit lacking. Am thinking of going to a .445 ball. Also am thinking I might have to lap the cap lock. Don't really want to as the rifling is pretty shallow as is.
Is the accuracy I'm getting typical for .45 Hawkens with ball? Just starting with both rifles, but I was hoping for better.

Lead in the caplock. No. This thing is cutting patches badly and when I got it I had to scrub some lead out. Greg Dixon suggested furnishing with steel wool. 2 15 minute tug o wars with some TIGHTLY wrapped steel wool brought no improvement.
However, I broke out some old poly patches, got 1000 on clearance, and VIOLA! She shoots into 1 1/4 inches for 3 at 50 using 60 gr of 3f Swiss. Velocity 1815 fps, chrono'd.
This one might be a sabot shooter. She doesn't plastic foul, but it will have to be a short bullet. Am thinking a 155 gr 40 cal. Anyone try that in a 1-48? Don't want to lap if I can avoid it. Bore/groove is .450/.460. Pretty shallow to begin with.

Back