U.S. Fighting Canadian "Super Pig" Invasion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, decades ago Eurasian boars escaped from boar hunting ranches in Canada and inter bred with domestic hogs gone wild. Parts of the US has had "Super Pigs" for a long time. Feral hogs with Eurasian boar blood are not remarkably different from "piney rooters: or other feral hogs. They do tend to be larger.

This part of Oklahoma has had "Super Pigs" for about 30 years. A wealthy Okie imported 100 breeding pairs from Bavaria and turned them loose north of highway 62.

Killed this "Super Pig" in 2010 after he had killed 4 hog dogs. The old boar on the truck had an ear tag from a game farm in Bavaria. Killed him on Fort Sill in 2007. Boar was very old with teeth worn to the gums.

Attachments

• Osama bin Laden-1.JPG
    Osama bin Laden-1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Boar 25 Sep. 07 001.jpg
    Boar 25 Sep. 07 001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Nice. I haven’t personally encountered a super pig yet. Mostly the only ones I run across are the smaller under 200 pounds type. They are good for eating though. But there are some wily ones hiding out in the bottomlands, where I hunt mostly, that are huge though. So I might come across them one of these days.

This part of Oklahoma has had "Super Pigs" for about 30 years. A wealthy Okie imported 100 breeding pairs from Bavaria and turned them loose north of highway 62.
I hadn't heard about that. They sure grow up to be nice big boars.

The hogs I hunt on nearby WMAs are descended from a cattle trailer load of razorbacks hauled in from AK 50+ years ago. This was before the 40K acres of corporate owned, rough terrain land became a WMA. Their meat is the leanest pork I've ever cooked.

The feral and wild pigs procreate like crazy. The sows can have three to four litters a year even. It may be impossible to bring it under control anymore.

In Texas it is wide open carnage season on pigs. Almost anything goes. They even use helicopters and shoot them from the air. Of course in urban populated areas you can’t just shoot them. So they setup elaborate traps to capture the family groups. The pigs are smart, they learn fast, the traps have to be ever smarter every year. Unfortunately the pig numbers are still going up anyway.

I forgot to add that if you like pig hunting, then find and make friends with some of the professional pig hunters. They may be able to get you onto some farms or ranches that hire them to kill pigs. But you have to be pretty good though. No shooting anything but the pigs. A lot of night hunting of course.

Pigs are a big problem on the farms as they can contaminate the fields ready to be harvested with harmful bacteria thus ruining the harvest.

The sows can have three to four litters a year even.

The gestation period of swine is 114/115 days.

Wildlife people often take information pertaining to domestic swine and apply it to feral hogs, ignoring the fact that feral hogs have a hard scrabble life compared to their domestic cousins.

IME: In a year when acorns and pecans are plentiful or the hogs are dining at feeders, a few feral sows bear two litters. The litters average 6 or 7 pigs. Any lactating sow will suckle any pig in the sounder. While foraging little pigs are often left with a nurse sow/s.

When approaching a pond, feeder or game plot the sounder will often kick a juvenile up front as the point pig. i've often seen the point pig come running in with it's hackles raised, obviously scared.

Latest posts

Back