Uberti Walker safe loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackpowder8bore

Reaction score
Is 50 grains of Triple7 instead of 60 grs of blackpowder a safe load in a Uberti 1847 Walker? The book calls for 60 of bp but i prefer 777. My caps set it off but do yall think its safe? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200426_071830.jpg
    20200426_071830.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 3
I wouldnt go over 50 in t7. But i bet you find your best load is closer to 40-45. R you shooting conical or ball? My roa shoots conis better with a little less powder. Balls shoot best hotter but still less than max. My 1858 was the same.

I wouldnt go over 50 in t7. But i bet you find your best load is closer to 40-45. R you shooting conical or ball? My roa shoots conis better with a little less powder. Balls shoot best hotter but still less than max. My 1858 was the same.
Thanks for the input. I just dont want any failures in the cylinder wall.im shooting round balls.

Personally, I'd drop it down to around 40grains with 777. 60 grains isn't really necessary in the Walker. Colt suggested 50 in the originals (Hence the reduction in cylinder size in the Dragoons) and when the paper cartridges were introduced, the load was actually 30 grains.

When Im shooting 220grn conicals in my ROA i can barely stuff 35grn of t7 fffg under them. The Ruger Old Army has no max load of black or sub. Ive heard the Walker was the same. But you should check with Uberti. They(Uberti)do build a quality gun.

Last edited:
Yes the Ruger is a modern built gun. That would be my first choice in cap and ball. The Walker is a big heavy revolver but i probably will drop down to 50 grs after i unload this cylinder. Id like to shoot conicals and load less,i like the monentum of a heavier bullet.

Another issue you have to think about with a Walker, is the loading lever flopping down under heavy recoil. I'm going to shoot 45 grains of 3F (when my wads and RBs get here), I'm told that will be light enough to avoid the lever issue, but more power than a 1860 loaded with 30 grains of 3F.

I use 50gr of T7 FFFG. And use a 200gr soft cast hollow point, from hunters supply. Does some damage @ 50yrds to a whitetail. I also load my cyl with i loading jig.

Latest posts

Back