UK Firearm Legislation.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certus

Reaction score
Hi,
A forum member suggested I might post a thread outlining the legislation surrounding firearm related legislation here in the UK to give an idea of how complex and onerous firearm ownership is in this country.
Although we can own gas or air powered rifles or pistols without licence, there are basically four types of authorisation in relation to the ownership of firearms:
Section 5
Section 7.1 & 7.3
Section 1
Shotgun

Section 5 authorisation is normally restricted to dealers who export or have valid reason to possess full or semi-automatic guns with the exception of .22 S/A rimfire rifles which are Section 1 , so Section 5 is not really relevant to everyday shooters.

Section 7.1 & 7.3 relate to the possession of breech loading heritage firearms that are not of modern manufacture. These are subject to exceedingly tight restriction on their use and storage location and are usually shot behind closed doors at authorised ranges only. To obtain authorisation, you must prove that you are a genuine collector or a historical researcher etc with many hoops to jump through before they are rarely granted.

Section 1 is by far the most common licence granted and is authorised by means of a Firearm Certificate (FAC) which remains valid for five years.

When applying for a Firearm Certificate in the UK you must specify the type and calibre of each firearm wanted together with a justification for each listed firearm. The justification is normally full membership of an approved shooting club suitable for the requested firearms. Approved clubs only grant full membership when an applicant has demonstrated regular probationary attendance and completed the requited training which usually takes between 3 and 6 months. If you own or have access to land and wish to use the firearm for hunting / vermin control etc, this is recognised as good reason and a certificate should be granted provided the land is approved by the police authority for the safe use of the requested firearm. The more firearms requested is also limited by the security /safe storage arrangements in place with quite sophisticated requirements needed for holdings of more than 4-5 guns.
Should you wish to replace one of the guns possessed with another of the same calibre, this can be done without cost, but does require some form filling and the replacement of the FAC with a new one which reflects the updated content. If the number of firearms requested is to be increased, you must apply for a "Variation" to the FAC which almost entails all the checks and measures associated with the initial grant, including a visit from the local Firearms Enquiry Officer. In addition to the above, we now have to provide a letter from our GP (Doctor) affirming that there are no medical reasons to refuse the application. This has to be provided at your own cost at a fee determined by your practitioner and can vary from £30 -£100.
The Grant and renewal of an FAC from can take weeks or sometimes many months depending on the efficiency of the local police authority. In the event that you might be in possession of the firearms listed on your FAC after the expiry date for any reason, you must lodge your guns with a Registered Firearms Dealer until the renewal process has been completed.
There are severe penalties for any contravention of these laws including seizure of the firearms and even imprisonment for the worst cases.

Shotguns require the issue of a Shotgun Certificate and are subject to many of the same checks and balances that are required for the grant of a Firearm Certificate.

I forgot to add that we must also keep an endorsed record of the use of each firearm listed on the FAC to be produced at time of renewal as evidence of regular use. If the recorded use is less than around three times each year, the firearm could be removed from the list of authorised firearms on the certificate.
To summarise, we must have among the strictest firearm regulations in the world without a commensurate decrease in the number of firearms offences which are invariably committed with illegally possessed firearms.

Brian

Last edited:
WOW!!! Thanks for sharing this. I find the firearms rules of other countries interesting.

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing this. I find the firearms rules of other countries interesting.

Unfortunately the restrictive legislation in the UK results in very few younger people being introduced to the sport in this country resulting in a gradually ageing population who continue with the sport.
There are some younger shooters who are necessarily involved in vermin control on farms etc, but the average age of the target shooters I mix with at ranges and Arms Fairs etc would be around sixty years old.
This could also explain a resurgence in the use of muzzle loading weapons in the UK which probably appeal more to the older generation.
Brian

Not much reason to own a hunting rifle when you have no land you can hunt.

Last edited:
Its pretty simple. There is very little public land in the UK. The wealthy bought it up ages ago. Hunting illegally on private land had extremely harsh penalties. That was the first step in removing "the need" for a firearm. The common man today has been put in a position that cost makes it difficult to legally own a firearm or hunt in the majority of the UK.

Certus, My heart goes out to you, I understand more than you know. I worked 13 years for Rolls Royce here in the US before retiring.
Gun Making took up all my spare time and still love it today.
R.R. asked me if I would work for them 2 years in the UK;. I had to turn them down because of family. Never met and Englishman I didn't like.
I know there is some bird hunting @ $$

Certus,
You might also like to mention that, Yes we can own Gas Powered, Pre charged air powered and spring powered Air Rifles and Pistols, but, if the muzzle energy is above 12 Foot pounds in the case of rifles and 6 foot pounds in the case of pistols, then they are classed as Section 1 Firearms and require the granting of a Firearms Certificate.
(That is why good quality air rifles/pistols ( sub 12 or 6 Ft lbs), command higher prices on the second hand market than an air weapon rated as a section 1 Firearm,

Steamjohn

These type of restrictions/regulations are coming to the US if we as gun owners don't get together as one body an stop voting for the radical left wing communists! Vote in person on November 3rd like your second amendment rights are at stake, they are!!

Hi,
I should probably also say something about the acquisition and storage of muzzle loading weapons and what are termed "Shooters Powders" in the UK.
You can purchase and keep an original (antique) firearm without licence here provided it is for "Curio or Ornament", but it must be recorded on a Firearm Certificate if it is intended to be used for its original purpose.
Reproduction muzzle loading weapons are considered Section 1 and can only be acquired and used following the grant of a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate.
Smokeless and BP substitute powders do not require a licence, but dealers must only sell these on production of a valid Firearm or Shotgun Certificate. The acquisition and storage of BP requires the need to apply for an Explosives Licence to either acquire or acquire and store the powder. There are strict limitations on the amount and storage of BP before a certificate can be granted with specified guidance and conditions for their storage which are subject to inspection before granting the certificate.
Brian

Last edited:
Your comment above helps me understand why George Washington felt the way he did.
I'm thankful the people in our country are citizens rather than subjects.
LOL God speed!

I wouldn't want this thread to become too negative as many of us in the UK have adapted to allow us to continue with the sport we love. However, I do have serious concerns about the younger generation who will be deprived of the many years I have been lucky enough to enjoy through the responsible use of firearms.
Brian

I wouldn't want this thread to become too negative as many of us in the UK have adapted to allow us to continue with the sport we love. However, I do have serious concerns about the younger generation who will be deprived of the many years I have been lucky enough to enjoy through the responsible use of firearms.
Brian
Seems that way here often. Not many younger people shooting muzzleloaders. At least not for fun. Not as many young ML hunters it seems. But around me they arent currently required during the ML season. Because of CWD(Chronic Wasting Disease, Covid-19 for deer) you can use most anything now.

Brian
Again, thanks for sharing with us this info. I wonder there are any Canadian members that could do the same.

Back