Ultimate Firearms "Non-Review" by Fadala

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

The so-called "review" by Sam Fadala of the BP Xpress is one of the most singularly uniformative, most inadequate "reviews" of a muzzleloader I have ever read.

The first picture claims 4 pellets as its maximum charge-- though the write-up contradicts this with no particular resolution.

The pictured target is one supplied by "Ultimate Firearms"-- not one that Fadala had anything to do with at all.

The pictured "chart" inside the floorplate of the Howa action is obviously shot at a steep angle, that not-so-cleverly crops off muzzle velocities. It brags of being a "500 yard gun," at odds with the basic laws of physics.

Page three of the review features the stunning news that this $1500 gun comes with a "top grade" recoil pad-- its sole picture.

Mr. Fadala should know by now now that Pyrodex pellets are not blackpowder, nor are they even powder. So much for Mr. "Blackpowder Only."

What a shame, and an embarrassment . :cry:

I take it you DID NOT like the review. :wink: :)

Where might I find this review?

Mike

Backpowder Hunting, starting on p.38.

I can't say it really is "a review." Chuck / Wolfhound / and others have read it as well, maybe they are reading words that I cannot find. :roll:

Maybe ole Sam is a pupet for the publication and writing what they tell him to.

This doesn't even suprise me anymore. Has anyone ever read a bad review in an international magazine like Petersen's Hunting or something similiar. Isn't there ussually a glossy add within pages of the "review" of the product being reviewed? I think 90% of the drivel written in magazines these days is "fantasy" and made up. If I do read anything in a magazine, I take it with a grain of salt. Who is going to bite the hand that feeds them. Really, quite a joke.

I personally know an outdoor writer who steals stories from other hunters and lies about his experiences for product testing. Then unsuspecting people read this and trust his thread of lies and "make-believe" possibly spending money on poor equipment based on "glowing" reviews.

Thank God Randy keeps it real.

I fully agree DeerNut. Between Wakeman's experience based (nuttin held back :lol: ) reviews and whut other folks post here based upon their actual down in the trench xperience......i think we could forego reading most of that glossy stuff and not miss a thing. :lol:

but sam did shoot it in his article i have finally gotten around to reading it .
he claims so very nice groups at 100yds i belive .65

not a great review though ill agree.

Regardless of a claim of one group, the target photographed was not even his-- a factory supplied target he had nothing to do with at all. How is that relevant, or even "cricket"? :roll:

"Advanced recoil system" (like where?), "fastest locktime" (provably wrong: 10ML-II wins at sub 1.6 milliseconds)----------- that was no review at all. :x A huge embarassment to a writer with otherwise impeccable credentials, and huge prior contributions.

Yeah, I've looked at the wild claims by BP express, and they are not even consistent in their fantasies.

If you really take a critical look at their web-site, there is very little REAL information about these guns. How long are the barrels? What is the twist? Who's projectiles are the shooting? Are the good groups with the hot loads, or with much more reasonable loads? There seems to be a "bait and switch" aura about the web-site.

I don't know how they can claim that they burn 5 pellets completely, when my Encore spits fire with 3 pellets.

I've done a little work with a chrony and many different ML projectiles between 92 and 480gr, and fit velocity curves to various loads. The physics of these loads follows VERY close bounds. A certain amount of chemical energy in powder can move a certain weight bullet a certain speed, and the laws are immutible. According to the curve-fits to REAL data there's no way they can get 3100 fps with 250gr pellets and a 180gr slug. Similarly, there's no way they can get 2500 fps with a 300gr slug with 250gr pellets. T7/2f is 20% hotter than pyrodex, and there's no way these velocities can be achieve with T7 with those powder volumes.

Anyhoo... see my article in the Sunrise archery March 2005 newsletter and make some calculations for yourselves.

Link: http://www.sunrisearchery.com/nwsltr/March05News.pdf

Twanger said:
Yeah, I've looked at the wild claims by BP express, and they are not even consistent in their fantasies.

Well, you get a Japanese action and a Boy's unbedded plywood / glue stock: "BP Xpress Hunter ? starting at $1500*"

BP Xpress Infinity ? starting at $1800* gives you a better version of their "advanced recoil reduction system." It's called a recoil pad.

Remington 40X BP Xpress Ultra ? starting at $2700*

That's the one for you, Twanger. It burns Pyrodex pellets so completely, you still need to swab between shots. The completely burnt pellets need to be cleaned out after every range session so your gun won't rot itself to pieces.

It's a fabulously strong gun-- so strong, that they won't let you use smokeless. The barrel is a "Lothar Walther barrel." Maybe you are not aware of the demand for Lothar Walther barrels in bench rest market? There isn't any. Walther barrels were imported by Tony Knight for use in the MK-85.

"Due to the patented ignition system, there are no gases expelled through the breech plug." That is a fascinating idea. If nothing goes through the breech plug, it is a wonder it goes bang :?:

It has "Unmatched Accuracy." Makes it hard to believe that Knight Rifles beat them this year at the NMLRA Manufacturer's Championship. :shock:

It has also been billed as an easy "500 yard gun." My .270 is not any easy 500 yard gun.

The 3100 fps with a 180 grain slug might be relevant if it grouped with that bullet. It doesn't, so why not just shoot phonograph needles and get the velocity up there to a more respectable level?

All I can say is that they are very impressive. The Ultimate Rip-off is a better name for it. :shock:

Twanger said:
I've done a little work with a chrony and many different ML projectiles between 92 and 480gr, and fit velocity curves to various loads. The physics of these loads follows VERY close bounds. A certain amount of chemical energy in powder can move a certain weight bullet a certain speed, and the laws are immutible.

I sure wish my ex-wife was immutable, or at least "muteable." :shock:

The rules of energy content also follow to a degree in smokeless propellants of the same base.

The IMR single based powders are a good example. They have essentially the same energy potential across the line-- the differences being primarily in the geometry of the particles and the variations in coatings.

Ultimate

Hi all, Let me start by saying I have absolutly no affiliation with Ultimate Firearms. I'm no spokesman for them.

I own a Howa action BP Xpress Ultimate with a Zeiss 4.5-14x44. Randy you seem pretty upset about the article and the gun. I'll give you any info on the gun I know of.
1. 200gr Proydex with a 300 TC shock wave Shoots avg 2340
2. 250gr Proydex with a 300 TC shock wave shoots avg 2510
My gun my Chrony.
My gun will shot 100yd groups that I can cover up with a nickel, I have 2 groups at 200yd I can cover with a quarter. 300 yds average 3", 400yds average 5" and the best at 500yd is 8" with my gun and My buddy has the 40X action has 2 groups at 500 of 7" and 6".
The upgrade to the Infinity is more than the recoil pad, The basic BP hunter is a Boyds thumbhole stock, Infintiy is a Accurate Innovation aluminum chassis thumbhole stock with a sims pad. Then there the 40x, not worth the extra money in my eyes but my buddy got a real deal on his because of a mix up.
The guns are a 1-26 twist.
Running my data through my balistics software with a 300gr bullet starting at 2340fps at 500yards carry's somewhere in the range a 840ftlbs of energy. I don't know if I can post a pic here but I posted 2 of my groups at
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/ ... PHPSESSID=

I'll invite anyone to go out at shoot with me if you are in the area, I'm in Monroe, Mi
Chris

Edit by Loggy....pics should now show when Hunt101 is back up.

281820-big.JPG

281821-big.JPG

indy - What's the barrel ength and twist on your gun?

:D Indyultra, welcome aboard. Now thats some darn looooooonnnnnnggggg range shootin there! :lol:

Any kill xperience with that gun?

Welcome to the board Indyultra!

Good job with those pics Loggy! I hope to see em soon!

Re: Ultimate

Indyultra said:
I own a Howa action BP Xpress Ultimate with a Zeiss 4.5-14x44. Randy you seem pretty upset about the article and the gun. I'll give you any info on the gun I know of.
1. 200gr Proydex with a 300 TC shock wave Shoots avg 2340
2. 250gr Proydex with a 300 TC shock wave shoots avg 2510
My gun my Chrony.

Both hardly rates an "upset," just a bit of disappointment over the minimalistic, half-hearted writing of Mr. Fadala in this instance, as noted-- and the continued and obvious misrepresentation of Ultimate Firearms of their gun that has been going on for some four years by now.

It would be difficult to make a case that 2340 fps with a 300 gr Shockwave has ANY different ballistics than 2340 fps with the same projectile out of a Savage 10ML-II.

Their brochure says:

"No Brag, Just Fact ? Completely burns 4 Pyrodex pellets ?Documented kills at over 500 yards ? Advanced recoil dampening system ? 55 second cleanup ? Fastest lock time ? No blow-back ? Accurate
? Powerful ? Easy to load ? Weatherproof ? Safe ? User-friendly ? Sealed breech
? .50 Caliber"

Well, the "no brag" statement has a few problems. Their "fastest lock time" no brag is a lie.

The advanced recoil dampening system may be "advanced," I think a Sims pad is advanced-- but a recoil pad is hardly new technology. Silly to try to call it more than it is.

As for "completely burn Pyrodex pellets," that point is also rather silly. Only 50% of Pyrodex burns in any gun-- even if you used just one pellet in an Omega, only half of that pellet turns to gas. You may or may not get all the gas that can be had from a lump of charcoal, or a pellet of Pyrodex, but the ashes in your Weber of the smoke in the air tell anyone that complete combustion has not taken place.

The claim that large bore rifle primers are "10X hotter than a 209" is foolish-- actually, a 209 is hotter-- and produces more gas.

Lothar Walthar barrels are nothing to brag about-- those familiar with Marlin and Daisy have had that little low-cost option for years. Hart, Lilja, McGowan-- those are the barrels that win championships, and are in demand.

A Howa action is a Howa action-- is there some basis for saying it has a faster locktime when you stick in a BP Xpress than anything else? :roll:

All this, the highest priced muzzleloader you can buy, you can't use smokeless powder, and you can't even buy one direct-- unlike most, it is a form 4473 arm. For the money, the Savage 10ML-II and the New Ultra Light Arms muzzleloaders never looked so good.

The "Custom aluminum chassis provides a harmonic-free barrel". Another new branch of physics at work-- aluminum bedding blocks are old news. Hasn't anybody heard of a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock?
http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/medalst2.htm

All starting at $1800 with an aluminum block. What is the resale value of one of these white elephants? Some will say it just makes infinitely more sense to buy a Savage instead, and use the $1300 surplus cash to actually go hunting. :shock:

I hope anybody that drops their cash on a BP Xpress is happy, of course. Everyone is entitled some liberty in trying to present their product in a pleasing fashion, of course. Locktime lies, new theories on how Pyrodex creates gas, tortured bedding block theories that remove all harmonics from a barrel, inventing a new way a large bore rifle primer works------------ well, it is a very, very low form of wit.

No Brag, Just Fact? Only in a room with rubber wallpaper.

So we can shoot a sabot at about 2300 fps. So can a Savage. So can an Omega with three pellets.

If you want to do it with less recoil, you can sure do it with a Savage-- you don't need 200 grains of pellets to get the job done.

You can also do it with a 250 gr. bullet and an Omega and just three pellets. No whitetail can live on the difference. All this boils down to what the purpose of a 4 (or make it 5 or 6 if you choose) pellet burner might be.

If they want to call it a "500 yard gun," I can't see it. I'll use your MV of 2340 fps, and Thompson's inflated BC of .24.

With a 100 yard zero, that is 119.43 inches of drop at 500 yards. With just a 10mph crosswind, that blows your bullet 57.31 inches away from your crosshairs. The bullet has gone sub-sonic at 1098 fps at anything above 40 degrees F. They don't call it a sonic boom for nothing.

Ten feet of hold-over, and allowing for nearly six feet of wind drift for every 10 mph of cross-wind, and you might hit something . . . if it doesn't move. :shock: Despite any wondrous claims of locktime, the time of flight tells the tale, nearly a full second after the bullet leaves the muzzle-- .967 seconds with the inflated T/C BC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I do not understand the thinking process going on to spend that much money on a black powder "only" gun. :shock: As far as accuracy the Savage will do the same or better and not have the shoulder abuse and no cleaning for the worry that Pydrodex is going to eat your barrel up. But guess what if I want to throw black powder or Pydrodex in a Savage I can, it's my choice. :)

Hi and Thanks everyone.
Here are the pic's I put on Web Shots http://community.webshots.com/scripts/e ... &ran=14138

1-26 Twist and I'll measure the barrel.

Well Randy you sure seem to have a beef with Ultimate. As far as the 2340 out of a 10ML I've only seen 2285 and with that you have to add a sub base under the sabot to protect it by making your own out of a 28ga wad. There is no way a Omega is shooting 3 pellets and getting 2300fps. Does it kick, heck ya, so does my 300 Remington Ultra mag.
The BC is .25, for a Hornady SST which I believe is the same bullet but the Shockwave is made for TC. and at 10 mph wind at 500yd is 53" or 3 Mils, Not unreasonable. The energy is 859 ft/lbs well enough to kill a deer. I'm not a for taking unreasonable long shots. I practice at long ranges. So I know what my gun will do under different conditions and ranges. No one should be taking Hail Mary shots. That is careless and out right stupid.
By the way Ultimate started out as a Smokeless gun built on a Ruger action. Why they stopped? Call and ask them. I don't know.

What's with the hang up on the "Lock Time"? Wouldn't that depend on who's closing the bolt? I don't care how fast you can close a bolt.
It does clean real fast, I take more than 55 sec but its under 5 minutes. The recoil pad, You have problem with them calling it a advance recoil damping system, should they call it like Sims does? "The LimbSaver? Precision-Fit Recoil Pad is a custom fit recoil reduction pad for rifles and shotguns that is easily installed after removal of the existing stock pad. The LimbSaver? Precision-Fit Recoil Pad features our innovative recoil reduction technology that absorbs shock and vibration. This revolutionary three-step process features Sims Vibration Laboratory?s proprietary NAVCOM? (Noise and Vibration Control Material). It is designed to displace shock on a broadband spectrum (0 to 2500 Hz) ensuring maximum shock relief from recoil and greater protection for the shooter. This superior LimbSaver? recoil reduction system allows greater access to the firearms sport for women, youth, and the disabled." Hell it's the best pad on the market hands down.
Why the Lothar barrel? Not sure, might have to do to the strength as Cobb Manufacturing uses them in making 50BMG's. Kreiger and Broughton barrels are of choice in benchrest guns.

Not sure where only 50% of Prodex burns even if only using 1 pellet. Wouldn't there be a huge ball of fire coming out of the barrel then if only 2 of my 4 pellets are burn't? Also as far as the Large rifle primers being 10x hotter than the 209. I know the 209 greats more energy in fact PR bullets have a conversion kit for Omega from the 209 to a small rifle primer because the 209's will start to push the load down the barrel before the powder starts to burn. So is the Large rifle hotter? Might be, but doesn't have the energy to start to move the load.

The highest priced muzzleloader? Might be. Cheap compared to other custom made guns. You can easily dump 2500.00 into a custom gun. Why would anyone buy a Taylor & Co 1865 Spencer .45 Schfield Carbine for 1200.00?

Why can't you buy one direct? Thats the only way to buy one, is from them.

Other Muzzleloaders needing a 4473? TC Encore, Conn Valley Optima, Why not rip on them?

What's wrong with a Howa action? Isn't the most reconized gun manufacture using them, Weatherby. Anything wrong with them guns? The cheapest Weatherby is 1000.00, going up to 2200.00

Randy I'm sure your a very knowledgeable person in muzzleloading. I'm not here to argue, but I don't like seeing people bash something they personally havn't tried and like I had said before, what is your hang up with these guns? Have you actually shot one of these guns? What makes them a White Elephant? Every gun has there limits and the owners had better know when not to push them.

Edit By Loggy: Removed reference to HP ML site due to such information being false and originating from unreliable & uncredible source.

As far as the 2340 out of a 10ML I've only seen 2285 and with that you have to add a sub base under the sabot to protect it by making your own out of a 28ga wad.

I don't use sub-bases, and 2340 fps is a piece of cake.

There is no way a Omega is shooting 3 pellets and getting 2300fps.

Then you must think Omega on this forum is a liar? Hornady published 2250 fps right in their catalog, using an Omega as their test gun.

What's with the hang up on the "Lock Time"? Wouldn't that depend on who's closing the bolt? I don't care how fast you can close a bolt.

I really hope you are joking. The alternative is vacancy of the cranium.

Not sure where only 50% of Prodex burns even if only using 1 pellet.

Only 50% of the low-efficiency Pyrodex CAN burn.

So is the Large rifle hotter? Might be, but doesn't have the energy to start to move the load.

That would be a pity, as any reloader knows a even small bore primer can move a bullet-- which has nothing to do with accuracy. You try can ask the rabbits that have been shot with Aguila powderless rimfire ammo around here, but they are still all quite dead.

I do not know who Omega is.

Ok lets compare apples to apples,

Then you must think Omega on this forum is a liar? Hornady published 2250 fps right in their catalog, using an Omega as their test gun.

This is for a 250gr SST, 2150 FPS for a 300gr SST. We are talking about a 300gr bullet not 250. A 250gr with a BC of .210 at 2250 will drop 168" and only have 563 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yrds. So the affetive range of a 250 gr SST is 350yds and that will drop 65" and only have 819ft/lb and a 10mph wind drift of 31" Now compare that to my gun using a 300gr at 350yds and you get 1288ft/lbs 55" drop and 23" drift. BC and velocity not weight is the factor in drift.

That would be a pity, as any reloader knows a even small bore primer can move a bullet-- which has nothing to do with accuracy.

Are you calling Cecil of PR Bullets a liar, http://www.prbullet.com/vf.htm Knight used the PR QT bullets to win the 2001 Muzzleoading championship.
I hope you are joking, do you not load your own rifle rounds? .010" difference off the lands of rifling can take a 1/2 group to a 1" group, don't you think it would apply in muzzleloading? As PR has proven the 209 does affect it.

You still have not answered my question, What is your Beef with these guns and have you ever shot one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back