Unload and reuse?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach.trumble

Reaction score
Can I reuse the powder and bullet that I unload from my inline muzzleloader? It's a saboted bullet, will the rifling cut into the sabbats affect reloading?

I assume I can just unscrew the breech plug and push it out the bottom.

Thank you for your time

Re: Unless and reuse?

I just shoot the load out if I'm not going to the range anytime soon or wait till warmer weather it won't matter. If the gun was shot and then reloaded then you will have to clear the loaded weapon and clean the gun asap. I have found it is much easier to just shoot out the load rather than pushing out the bullet/sabot or conical you still will have to wipe the bore. If you do push out the load and save the powder keep it out of the original powder container and save it for the range, why take the chance on using exposed powder on maybe the shot of a lifetime a year later?

What type of powder? pellets would be easiest to recycle. If loose powder and grease was used on your breech plug, it can be a mess. Sabot and bullet shouldn't be a problem, just line up the rifling marks.

It's a lot harder than you think to get loose powder out. I would shoot it and give it a thorough cleaning/oiling since it like going to be a month or two before you shoot it again. Otherwise I'd ditch the powder and sabot and keep the bullet.

If using loose powder in a non-break open gun get a "cleaning tube" that screws into breach plug once plug is out, tip the gun breach down and the powder will fall out and not get into the interior of the stock/trigger area. Rem. and Ruger supplied their bolt MZ rifles with a cleaning tube and the threads are the same as well as that on a T/C Omega. Will still have to clean out breach plug threads if using grease but I don't and only use teflon tape and use a bronze brush to clean out the threads.

SuperKirby said:
It's a lot harder than you think to get loose powder out. I would shoot it and give it a thorough cleaning/oiling since it like going to be a month or two before you shoot it again. Otherwise I'd ditch the powder and sabot and keep the bullet.

Amen! This is the issue. I've done it one time...NEVER again. It was like digging out concrete. Made a mess, and I ended up cleaning the rifle anyhow. When I hear people say, just push the load out - it makes me think they have never done it. In theory, it sounds good...but in reality, not so easy. Maybe its different with pellets... probably is. But packed loose powder ain't anything I'd describe as easy. A rifle with a QR breech plug - its probably easier also, then on my Knights.

For me, I'm shooting it out if I need to unload it.

It's 777 pellets in a CVA Optima.

I'll just set up a 50 yard target and practice a shot I guess.

Thank you for your time

Re: Unload and reuse?

zach.trumble said:

Thank you for your time

Pellets are much easier. I see no problem with pushing them out and saving the bullet not the sabot or pellets. It would save cleaning the gun in my opinion.

zach.trumble said:

You can re-use the removed pellets at the range. Just don't trust their reliability at your deer blind.

Here's another recommendation. Never expose those pellets to the outdoor weather on the range table. Just take enough pellets to the range, as needed. When removing 1-2-3 at a time, keep that packaging tightly sealed and covered. Obviously, if you live in a dry, desert-like climate, less protection is required. But here in the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes region, you want to take extra precautions.

My Accura V2 was loaded with a Barnes 290 gr bullet & 2 pellets of T7. I removed the BP and pushed the pellets & bullet out the breech. I will reuse the bullet and trash the pellets & sabot.

IMG_2743.jpg

Shot a deer yesterday and reloaded in the field. That completes my season so I decided to try unloading.

Whoever said it is ridiculously hard to push a charge out of the barrel was absolutely right. Way harder than I thought it was going to be.

I wasted way more than $2 worth of time and busted my knuckles on the muzzle when it finally popped. Definitely just set up a target and shoot it!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

On my side locks, I just point the barrel in a safe direction and apply 50 psig of air from my compressor to the nipple. Why not do the same at the breech plug primer hole?

Word of caution: Even with 60 psig that .54 caliber lead ball zips out pretty fast. Wouldn't kill you, but it;d break a windo easy enough! Be care if you try it.

zach.trumble said:
Shot a deer yesterday and reloaded in the field. That completes my season so I decided to try unloading.

Whoever said it is ridiculously hard to push a charge out of the barrel was absolutely right. Way harder than I thought it was going to be.

I wasted way more than $2 worth of time and busted my knuckles on the muzzle when it finally popped. Definitely just set up a target and shoot it!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The only time it would be beneficial to push the load out, would be if you haven't already shot a load through it.

In your situation, you had already fouled your bore when you shot your deer. The rifle needs to be completely cleaned after that event. If you reloaded in the field, it's better to just shoot it the load at that point.

Either way, it needs to be cleaned. If you had not shot it, pushing out the load can be advantageous to someone that has to drive to shoot it. I have a 100 yard range, 50 yards out my back door.

You said pellets, so those are easy. Lose powder such as Blackhorn 209 is easy if you don't use grade it anti-seize on your breech plug. I use Teflon tape on most rifles, and nothing but a very light coat of oil on the CVA QRBP's. Nothing seals fouling out of breech plug threads better than those.

In the future, should you ever have to push out a load from a rifle that has been shot. Remove the breech plug, dump the powder/pellets out the breech end, then use s range rod to push the sabot/bullet out the muzzle. With Blackhorn 209, it's easy either way. With Pyrodex and Triple Se7en Powder or Pellets, you Will have to push through that extremely hard crud ring where the powder sits. That is why it was hard to do, and s knuckle buster for sure.

If you don't have a place to shoot it at home, and you will not be hunting your area again any time soon (as in the end of the season/tagged out), just shoot it at last legal light. You already have shot at least once, and have your deer, the rest of the deer will forget about that shot by the next fall.

Dumping the powder out of the old bolt action in-line, was a mess, but, with my Vortek, it is not a problem at all. I use teflon tape on the BP threads, so the powder does not stick on the threads. I don't know what is going on with other rifles, that it is such a problem.

Old Smoke said:
On my side locks, I just point the barrel in a safe direction and apply 50 psig of air from my compressor to the nipple. Why not do the same at the breech plug primer hole?

Word of caution: Even with 60 psig that .54 caliber lead ball zips out pretty fast. Wouldn't kill you, but it;d break a windo easy enough! Be care if you try it.

Scratch that. Tried it with the sabot. Too much leak by the sabot. Works great on patched balls though!

Back