Unplanned Late Season Doe!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Far Sighted

Reaction score
After slow previous two months deer are showing up in pasture and coming to feeder like clock work in larger than expected numbers.
Yesterday I was there to check traps and equipment on a very cold hi 20s day.
Went I arrived deer were in the pasture about 400 yards away. They stayed there as I drove around to take care of business.
Afterwards I decided since I had my crossbow and hunting gear I would hunt.
My truck was parked 300 yards down wind on another ridge. This provided an ideal approach to the tower stand overlooking the area where the deer where feeding. I entered the stand unnoticed at 4:15.
The wind was blowing cold N 15 mph so I settled in with least exposure with windows cracked. Heater was there but decided too much trouble.
About 5:10 more deer begin filing into the pasture up to 10. They begin moving about preparing from the run to the feeder positioned about 35 yards to my west. I was facing slightly NW where I could view wide area of the pasture.
About 5:25 a lead doe began walking towards the feeder dragging all the others from different points scattered in front in my view yo the N.
She and two others came to broadside at 47 yards. I had already positioned my Ripper 415 on the steady rest and predetermined the range. It was just in front of a tree cluster which was 52 yards. I estimated the 47 yards and made the shot right where I aimed. The sound of the arrow passing thru both lungs was loud. Arrow buried in the ground upslope behind her. Never found it.
She ran into the woods a few steps away and crashed about 50 yards away. I was satisfied with everything and happy with my decision to hunt.
She taped out to 157 lbs by chart. Nice one! Sure was cold doing the field dress but great for memories a hunt I will always remember as unplanned.

Arrow wasn't found so laid another on the deer for reference. Entry wound shown. Exit was straight across.

1642809774261.png

She stopped in front of the cluster of trees in the left side of the frame shown below. That was my first broadside option so I took it.

20220118_173056.jpg
1642809906327.png

Attachments

• 20220118_173056.jpg
    20220118_173056.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Congrats on a good doe. I always say, take your first best shot or your last best shot.
Thanks!
It was early November when I took the last shot at a deer with my crossbow. Since then all I did was shoot it at a target occasionally to confirm it was still on at 50 yards. It was about time I finally got another shot and she was great to provide it.

That's a nice doe for the freezer. I'm envious of the brown and grass. We're due to get at least snow each day for the next three.... I'd be plenty happy with what you have there.

That's a nice doe for the freezer. I'm envious of the brown and grass. We're due to get at least snow each day for the next three.... I'd be plenty happy with what you have there.
Thanks
I I serted a recent picture which is green grass. Lol! It was 2 degrees there this morning.

Nice doe!!! I plan to procure a crossbow for my daughter and daughter in law to hunt with next year. They are not against guns at all. I just think it gives them a great opportunity to start out in early bow seasons.

Latest posts

Back