Unusual buck…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKasprzak

Reaction score
Saw this guy feeding about an hour before sunset this evening. Was able to get about 50-75 yards in front of him and setup behind a deadfall oak tree. He took about 10 minutes to work his way down to me, about 25 yards away. He gave me a broadside shot. Shooting offhand was able to shoot him behind the near shoulder, found the ball in the off side shoulder.

I was shooting my TC Hawken .50, 80 grains 2F Goex, RMC Ox yoke over powder felt wad, 275 grain TC Maxi Hunter. He fell right where he was standing.

I took him because his antlers were so unusual. His right side looks like it was damaged while in velvet and tried to repair itself. This ends my season for
the year… very grateful to end it on a good note.

Attachments

• A9083778-B3E4-411A-954A-AC0B99E568CD.jpeg
    A9083778-B3E4-411A-954A-AC0B99E568CD.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Congrats, I wonder what he would have looked like next year?? Always nice to end the season with success. I would love to get something original, but I'm happy with a nice big typical too. If you check out a thread I posted back in September, I took my friend's son hunting during youth season in IA and he bagged a crazy non-typical. I can't wait to see that deer on the wall.

Well done. Another advantage of being out hunting is that we regularly see instances animal individuality. Ma Nature appears to like a little variety in the appearance of some of her offspring.

Saw this guy feeding about an hour before sunset this evening. Was able to get about 50-75 yards in front of him and setup behind a deadfall oak tree. He took about 10 minutes to work his way down to me, about 25 yards away. He gave me a broadside shot. Shooting offhand was able to shoot him behind the near shoulder, found the ball in the off side shoulder.

I was shooting my TC Hawken .50, 80 grains 2F Goex, RMC Ox yoke over powder felt wad, 275 grain TC Maxi Hunter. He fell right where he was standing.

I took him because his antlers were so unusual. His right side looks like it was damaged while in velvet and tried to repair itself. This ends my season for
the year… very grateful to end it on a good note.
Nice buck and smoke pole.:lewis:

very nice deer and good story with a great ending. Pictures of the Maxi?
Funny you should ask… I just completed preparing the meat for further processing and found another piece of the maxi. The larger piece on the left I found when skinning the deer. The smaller piece on the right I found this evening when boning the shoulder.

You can see the two pieces together weighed 244 grains from the original weight of 275 grains.

B56C3B09-B6A7-4BB4-9510-EAAED377BCB0.jpeg

Congratulations on a fine buck. I've seen this antler condition several times before down in my native Georgia. The most interesting one is one I shot with a .50 prb while he was running past my stand. At the shot he fell DRT. At first I only saw the right side which got me excited, thinking I just shot an awesome 8 pointer. But when I grabbed the rack and pulled his head up I found that instead of a left side that matched the right there was only a single tine under the ground cover. He would have been a very nice mount if both sides had matched. But I did have a large buck for meat and some nice antler for crafting stuff.

Back