Update on Javelina stocked Optima V2 pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
I have been curious from the beginning as to how Doc White was going to inlet the multiple contours, nooks, and crannies when he finally got around to my Optima V2 pistol in his queue.

After speaking to him Tuesday, I now understand how he tackled what I thought was, and is, a difficult job of inletting.

He has already used the same technique to make a new set of the Javelina-style stocks for the cut-down, break-action, single-shot, 12 gauge, centerfire shotgun with the 19" long barrel, that has allowed him to continue turkey hunting, after seriously damaging his right shoulder vis-a-vis torn rotator cuff tendons.

What he did was to take the stock blank wood, in my case walnut (not curly maple, as I had thought), and slice it into thirds vertically on his band saw. The inner lamination, if you want to call it that, is only about 1/2" thick, while the outer left & right laminations were left the full thickness of the blank.

He then inlet the laminations separately until the fit was correct using inletting black to constantly check for fit.

When all three sections were properly fitted to the forearm, and the pistol grip, he then glued them together with epoxy glue, refitting the now glued together rough pistol grip, and forearm.

He then proceeded to shape & contour the forearm, and pistol grip, to their final exterior dimensions.

This is what he is doing right now to my Optima V2 pistol's forearm, with the more difficult pistol grip to follow.

In addition, he needs to install the GrovTec, GTHM289, 9/16"-18 threaded, flush mounted, push button, sling swivel bases. One in the bottom of the pistol grip, and the second near the end of the forearm. Behind the sling swivel base in the forearm, will be the Spartan Precision Equipment, Classic Gunsmith Adapter in brass, that will be filed down smooth to be completely flush with the contours of the forearm.

The brass gunsmith adapter will allow me to use a Spartan Javelin bipod when working up loads on the bench; or a monopod, bipod, or tripod equipped with the Spartan Davros ball head when shooting single handed while sitting, or offhand. My knees will not allow me to shoot from a kneeling position.

I didn't ask him, but I am sure that the inner lamination is switched/reversed 180° in relation to the outer left & right laminations. This not only adds tremendous strength to the stock blank, but also greatly stabilizes the wood from future movement.

I had to do a little searching, but Kilimanjaro Rifles in Montana use that same lamination process on some truly spectacular pieces of wood to create a stable stock.

I should also mention that instead of pretty walnut, or curly maple, I will be looking at a dark, matte black finish. Either paint, or black tinted varnish. Rubbed back to a matte finish, in all likelihood with a maroon Scotch Brite pad.

I think that I'll ask him to use General Finishes milk paint, if paint is going to be the finish of choice.

https://www.generalfinishes.com/all-colors
I am undecided between Queenstown Gray, Dark Chocolate, & Lamp Black.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been curious from the beginning as to how Doc White was going to inlet the multiple contours, nooks, and crannies when he finally got around to my Optima V2 pistol in his queue.

After speaking to him Tuesday, I now understand how he tackled what I thought was, and is, a difficult job of inletting.

He has already used the same technique to make a new set of the Javelina-style stocks for the cut-down, break-action, single-shot, 12 gauge, centerfire shotgun with the 19" long barrel, that has allowed him to continue turkey hunting, after seriously damaging his right shoulder vis-a-vis torn rotator cuff tendons.

What he did was to take the stock blank wood, in my case walnut (not curly maple, as I had thought), and slice it into thirds vertically on his band saw. The inner lamination, if you want to call it that, is only about 1/2" thick, while the outer left & right laminations were left the full thickness of the blank.

He then inlet the laminations separately until the fit was correct using inletting black to constantly check for fit.

When all three sections were properly fitted to the forearm, and the pistol grip, he then glued them together with epoxy glue, refitting the now glued together rough pistol grip, and forearm.

He then proceeded to shape & contour the forearm, and pistol grip, to their final exterior dimensions.

This is what he is doing right now to my Optima V2 pistol's forearm, with the more difficult pistol grip to follow.

In addition, he needs to install the GrovTec, GTHM289, 9/16"-18 threaded, flush mounted, push button, sling swivel bases. One in the bottom of the pistol grip, and the second near the end of the forearm. Behind the sling swivel base in the forearm, will be the Spartan Precision Equipment, Classic Gunsmith Adapter in brass, that will be filed down smooth to be completely flush with the contours of the forearm.

The brass gunsmith adapter will allow me to use a Spartan Javelin bipod when working up loads on the bench; or a monopod, bipod, or tripod equipped with the Spartan Davros ball head when shooting single handed while sitting, or offhand. My knees will not allow me to shoot from a kneeling position.

I didn't ask him, but I am sure that the inner lamination is switched/reversed 180° in relation to the outer left & right laminations. This not only adds tremendous strength to the stock blank, but also greatly stabilizes the wood from future movement.

I had to do a little searching, but Kilimanjaro Rifles in Montana use that same lamination process on some truly spectacular pieces of wood to create a stable stock.
IF I had to ask ,I probably couldn't afford that /Yikes Ed

IF I had to ask ,I probably couldn't afford that /Yikes Ed
It's a good thing I have had to wait as long as I have had to for my turn to come up in Doc White's queue, because I have been paying for everything connected to the Optima V2 pistol's transformation a little bit at a time. Parts of two stimulus checks went a long way to offsetting the cost.

When Doc saw the MZ REX2 muzzle brakes that Levi Reed installed on the pistol, he decided to have a similar brake installed on the cut-down, 12 gauge centerfire shotgun that he has used for turkey hunting the past two years. Since the torn rotator cuff tendons in his right shoulder prevent him from being able to either shoulder, or hold steady, a rifle or smoothbore, the two-handed, Javelina stocked, break-action shotgun has been his only means to hunt with.

Gotta admire an 83 year old man that still has the passion to hunt, and finds a means of continuing to hunt, despite suffering an injury that would incapacitate most other men that age suffering from a similar injury.

I should clarify that he was 83 when the injury occured, he's 85 now

Last edited by a moderator:
Some time?
Classic gunsmith answer… if dealing with an artist it’s often best not to ask. (Within reason of course. I’ve heard horror stories about certain cap and ball smiths.) Used John Zimmerman once and it seemed like it took forever! 11 months in real time, coincidentally the gestation period of a fine roping horse. It was worth the wait. I’m sure you’ll be very happy with Docs efforts!

He said it was just going to give the family some space and then contact them in about 8 weeks which is a good idea ,, doc most likely had some other projects it's not just Bruce and they were very good people I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Latest posts

Back