Upset and need advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my Thunderhawk to a local gunsmith, of good repute, to have my nifty TC factory aperture sight mounted. Looks like an open sight converted to aperture.
This required d&t for 2 holes. One hole is good. The other... Off enough that the sight sits just a tad crooked. Its off enough that plugging it and doing over, would have about a 3rd of the new screw in the plug. I'm also not crazy about giving this fellow another crack at my rifle.
So. Right now, its on with one screw. Seems solid, but I wonder, with all the nifty adhesives out there today, could I just use that to make the sight more secure? The rifle is stainless and the sight base blued. There's a lot of surface area for bonding. I'm also thinking about good old solder. I don't see that sight ever coming off, so the more permanent the better.
Whaddya think?

There's lots of sights out there that only use one screw, but if you want a little extra insurance, I would use some JB Weld and call it good. A little prep on both pieces with some 400grit sand paper and degrease with acetone or alcohol. It won't be going anywhere.

That sux. If you want a near permanent solder use the silver solder. Gotta get it super hot but its REALLY strong. But a good epoxy like jb-weld should hold indefinitely if you prep right and you keep the one screw tight/loctited. I don't know how it will hold up to the shocks but I've used it on more than a few cracked engine blocks and it works very well.

I have some JB. Gonna shoot it first though. Want to make sure that it's square with the front sight. If its not, you see a windage change with elevation changes( the sight is going up on an angle and not straight).
Hopefully this is the worst thing I have to deal with.

Ok. I noticed there is a gap under the sight base and it was large enough that it cost a good part of thread on an already short screw.
So. I took some sand paper and the old blued receiver from my Firehawk, wrapped the paper around it and lapped the sight base to full contact. No gap and full thread engagement. With maximum surface contact, the sight seems very stable. Once I'm convinced everything is all squared up, I'll use some kind of epoxy to make sure it goes nowhere and nothing gets under it.
Whew!

I put a scope mount on a .36 cal under hammer and a .32 percussion side lock with JB weld and they held up fine just had to rough it up a bit to get a grip.. Id ask the guy for my money back if it was me.

I also think I'm due a little coin back...
That the defect is invisible with the sight mounted is nice, but irrelevant.
Will be zeroing her tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!
I think I would dress down the offending screw so that it would drop into the miss-drilled hole. Epoxy the screw when you do the sight base. The screw will act as a recoil shoulder and improve appearance.

Bill

I opened the hole is the sight base ever so slightly and took a wee bit off the side of the screw head.
I put the rear screw in first. Tight. And then I put the front one ( the off hole) and tightened it.
It didn't torque the base out, near as I can tell. Lapping it gave me 100% contact between the base and receiver.
Fingers still crossed!

Scratch that last one. Running the screw in seemed to put a bit too much side pressure when tightening it down.
One screw it is, and if its not canted ( I'll know tomorrow) , then its a good epoxy and call it done.

Back