Use of Different Wads and Smokeless Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay in the light to medium load and you will be fine,, never chase velocity with a small frame rifle like that there's really no need to,, the Patriot is a walking, hunting , stalking rifle,,shoot it and load it like it was designed,,, hopefully new gun owners will try a stiff load of blackhorn too,,,can't wait to see results in the coming weeks.,,, My accuracy loads to go too first,,,57 gr Imr or h4198,,fury 225 blk tip,,,240 ot,,and 250 blk tip,,,all 40 cal in light blue sabot,,,55 gr 4198 h or IMR,,,250 fury .452 sized to bore,,, then 265 stb,,,,start bore rider's at 55 gr stay below 62 gr,,,I bet best loads will be 55gr to 57 gr and 250 fury bore sized.

60gr of 4198 and up to a sabotless 275gr should be well under 45kspi. N120 you would want to stay at around 55gr. It peaks higher and faster but its also more efficient at higher peak so you dont really want to use it with say a 225gr sabotless or even a 250gr unless you go up a few grains.

Thank you, Blackpowder72.. Those Fury and Pittmans and Parkers all certainly seem be to well made and beautiful. I still have my weapon apart to apply awesome oil finish to the furniture - but those will be among what I try first.
But I will also get some pure copper bullets in the mix (Barnes TEZ & Hammers). I’ve had great luck with Hammers out of my centerfires and I have high hopes for this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good advice GM54. I’m still looking for some N-120 but 55grain loads on smooth sized 275bullet sounds great.

And Mtn monkey I definitely like all your loads. And I’ll even try something with the one container of Blackhorn209 that I have.

Got to shoot patriot today. 100 yds. 3 shots. Then rang the 5" gong at 200 yds..very flat shooting gun and the recoil is like my 270. Not that bad. Sure is a great gun and a pleasure to shoot. The bullet to bore was a little learning curve. Got it now, had o20220708_153601.jpgther groups that were this good also. All bullet to bore...

That's phenomenal,, I shot reloader 7 some when I first started smokeless I had very good accuracy with it it was a lot dirtier in my barrels than 4198 so I stuck with the 4198,,, looks like that Patriot arms rifle shooting lights out!!!

Being powder is hard to get, especially the ones i want like reloader 7, and hodgdon 4198. I have 3 jugs of blackhorn, shot it 3 shots, not impressed and dirty i thought. Wish i could trade it with someone close by...the gun is a joy to shoot. Have not chronagraphed it yet or got extreme spreads. Getting a little leakage around the anvil of the primer though. Is this normal?

Is your plug adjustable?? If it's not you might be able to owe ring it or try a different primer I would experiment some but I don't think it's going to hurt anything if it's leaking slightly and I wouldn't hesitate to give Mark a call or shoot him a picture of this primer

Shorty - That is phenomenal shooting!! I also have Reloader7 and 250gr Fury Black tip so I’ll definitely try it when I get time.
But I think you will need to adjust your high pressure breech plug to stop your leakage. From what I understand from Mark’s instructions it needs to be adjusted so it barely won’t close slowly with 209 primer - it needs to be slam closed to get good seal

I'd talk with Mark at Patriot,,, I am curious you see just a little bit of smoke puff when you shoot or is it fouling up the area? Or both?

Ok, i did a little digging, this is what i found. The primer cup is where the firing pin hits to set the charge off. This is where there is a leakage from pressure. In the pic of primer the primer is a brass color, the cup is a silver color . Some gasses are leaking around the cup. Is this normal or what. TyScreenshot_20220708-214637_Google.jpg

I would direct that to mark at Woodman arms and then again he'll probably read this tomorrow or tonight but if not I would call him and talk to him about it.

It sounds to me like the primers themselves are leaking from joints in their own structure rather than anything to do with the gun. Am I understanding this correctly?
I feel bad that I cannot get out soon to test my own Patriot which is essentially same as Shorty’s. I have Fed209A and Fiocci 209 primers - would it help to try another brand of primer?

Last edited:
Leakage around the Primer Cup is normal. One of the weaknesses of using 209s. I use Federal 209A in my Remington 700 ML conversions getting some very minor leakage IMO on the bolt face.

Yes, thats where the leakage is coming from , around the primer cup. And yes it has nothing to do with the gun. Just wanted to hear if other people have the same issue. That must be the weak link in a 209 primer. I wonder if that is not the reason why some people use the large rifle conversations in their rifle builds, to get away from this problem. Thank you all. The gun is really a joy to shoot. Mr.Woodman really is a great designer and builder. Now i wonder if he would be willing to build new barrels to fit my frame, say in a 32 cal.???? Lol

Latest posts

Back