USPS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
USPS started delivering packages on Sunday here over a year ago to keep up. Surprised me the first time I saw them out on Sunday!

We have had some very slow mail carriers over the years, some folks just don't care when they deliver ones mail I guess. When the mail arrives after 6pm or so even in non holiday situations something is wrong. I said as much to the local supervisor about one of the carriers two years ago, he just smiled an didn't say anything. After more folks complained we finally got a new carrier who is much better, mail arrives 3-4pm most normal days as it should when she works. The newer young carriers still are slower and we have to deliver other neighbors mail when it is in my mailbox.

I think most of what they deliver on Sunday is Amazon Prime packages. They have a contract with Amazon and my guess is that they are required to deliver them. Overnight stuff can also be delivered on Sunday if the shipper pays the up-charge.

SFRB’s (Small Flat Rate Boxes) are going up again. I was just told this at our Local Post Office the other day

I think most of what they deliver on Sunday is Amazon Prime packages. They have a contract with Amazon and my guess is that they are required to deliver them. Overnight stuff can also be delivered on Sunday if the shipper pays the up-charge.
Fed Ex delivers on Sunday too, but I haven't seen UPS deliver on Sunday at least around here.

I'm a retired Mailman. Don't blame the clerks for taking breaks, it's a contractual thing and they can't modify that. I'm feeling the pain also. Let's look at a couple of things.
1. Alcohol: many people have DUI or OUI"S
2. Marijuana: It has been legalized in many states but it is still illegal under Federal law.
Two big factors in the reason that the PO can't hire people and this causes a slow down.
It is frustrating, I sent a small wool bag to a friend in Canada Nov 23rd, he got it Jan.6. Postal tracking is the worst! How do you know it was delivered to the right address and where has it been along the way? But what do I know, I never went to college!
Nit Wit
You're better off! I sent three kids to college and have been reeducating them ever since they graduated.

This was shipped From Wisconsin to Arkansas on the 11th. Follow the travels of the package. The 13th and 14th were busy days.

Mississippi to Alabama to Mississippi to Alabama to Little Rock to Memphis to Little Rock and then arrived and departed 4 more times all in Little Rock. I'm 50 miles north of Little Rock and now they say it'll be here in 2 more days. I'm waiting on pins and needles to see where it's going next.

It was a split delivery, one box was shippedUSPS and one UPS. The box on UPS, shipped the same day, got here the morning of the 14th.

Estimated Delivery

Saturday
Jan

On its way

Shipping Activity

• Jan 14
    8:03 PM
    Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
    LITTLE ROCK AR DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX,
  • Jan 14
    11:23 AM
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
  • Jan 14
    10:51 AM
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    LITTLE ROCK AR DISTRIBUTION CENTER,
  • Jan 14
    10:24 AM
  • Jan 14
    7:23 AM
  • Jan 14
    6:53 AM
    MEMPHIS TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER,
  • Jan 14
    3:48 AM
  • Jan 14
    3:11 AM
    BIRMINGHAM AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX,
  • Jan 14
    12:51 AM
    Departed USPS Facility
    OXFORD, MS
  • Jan 13
    10:55 PM
    BIRMINGHAM AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX,
  • Jan 13
    8:00 PM
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    OXFORD, MS
  • Jan 13
    8:38 AM
    OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTER,
  • Jan 12
    8:02 PM
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    AURORA, IL

Jan 12
    3:54 AM
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTER,
    • Jan 12
      2:39 AM
      Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
      PRAIRIE DU CHIEN, WI
    • Jan 11

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the above was off the tracking last night, this morning it changed again:

• When I checked it 10 hours ago it had Departed Little Rock at 8:03PM
    • Jan 14
      8:03 PM

• When I checked this morning It had Departed Little Rock at 9:39PM

• JAN 14
    9:39 PM
    Little rock ar distribution center annex
  • JAN 14
    11:23 AM
    Little rock ar distribution center annex

I sent a package the other day via USPS Flat Rate going to CT. that was supposed to arrive Yesterday. I checked on it today and found out it arrived in Philadelphia yesterday instead of its final destination. Why send a package south when it has to go north? Anyway, they just said the package will be arriving later than originally scheduled. No Kidding. Plus no updates since it arrived in Philadelphia yesterday.

The last time I expected a package I updated the tracking number to provide me with all updates. Did that happen? Nope. I finally got one that told me that package was out for delivery. Fortunately, it did arrive that day, but what happened to all of the other updates????

Well I'll give them credit, it was in my mailbox this morning.

Now to ***** at Cabelas.
I ordered 5 small items.
A pack of 50 #2 split rings,
a pack of 25 small swivels,
three 5 count packs of #1 hooks.

You could put it all in your shirt pocket.
It was all shipped from the same place in WI, it was shipped in 3 separate boxes. Two boxes were shoe box size and one was twice that big. The big box had the single pack of swivels in it. One was shipped UPS, it came yesterday, one was shipped USPS, it came this morning, and one just came in on FedEx.

Here in Rochester we had a beautiful sorting hub for the postal service. Built the building specifically for that. In town mail was delivered the next day. Then they closed that facility which requires local mail to go to the Twin Cities, then back to the main local post office, then to a sub-station, then delivered. All of this to cut down on expenses. I'd sure like someone explain to me how this saves money with al the shuffling around.

Pretty much the same here Tom, if I mail my neighbor a card it has to travel 100 miles just to get next door. I usually just hand deliver now.

It's a total crap shoot with USPS these days. Packages sometimes take the most inefficient and ridiculous routes imaginable. It's like they have no sorting logic to control anything. I've had packages take over 3 weeks to go to a bordering state, and have it travel through several others states to get there. But then again, I've had a few other packages get to the destination quite quickly. It's just so unpredictable. UPS and FedEx seem a lot more consistent these days.

I got a priority box that was mailed Tuesday from near Waterloo Iowa, 100 miles, yesterday. That doesn't seem so bad. I've ordered some fishing tackle from a southern business and it too arrived pretty much spot on. From the east though, its frustrating. It was explained to me by someone who works inside a USPS facility that where the country sees many really large cities within only a couple hundred miles of each other things get jammed up bad, so maybe its a regional thing. I've also been told that it is not the letter size mail that's hindered, but packages; however, for mail expected to be delivered in a timely fashion locally it just make any sense for four days of down time because of having it go 100 miles north and be jockeyed thru machines then come back down the 100 miles to get machined again and finally delivered the following day. Maybe the illustrious postmaster general can explain this, eh?

The usps sorting facilities are also understaffed due to the rona safety limitations according to our local postmaster. So far packages I have sent and received through them Priority or priority with signature required have made it in a timely manner. Hope things get better where you all are at.

Back