Vacuum sealing to prevent rust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer bill

Reaction score
Yesterday as I was sitting around with the family sealing up some tasty liver sausage with a vaccum sealer the thought crossed my mind- why don't I vacuum seal my muzzleloader? Not as a replacement for cleaning but as a extra layer of protection from humidity. The idea being no air = no rust. What are your thoughts?

Interesting idea. We see ML revolvers in original packaging sealed in hard plastic (i.e. CVA "kits" with various accessories). Then again, any moisture trapped inside the vacuum sealed item might be a problem. Liverwurst and an Old Army are two different things.

Yesterday as I was sitting around with the family sealing up some tasty liver sausage with a vaccum sealer the thought crossed my mind- why don't I vacuum seal my muzzleloader? Not as a replacement for cleaning but as a extra layer of protection from humidity. The idea being no air = no rust. What are your thoughts?
Probably a good idea - and I’d throw a desiccant pack in there as well.

After cleaning etc I store our ML's in a silicone sock along with a small sock containing cat litter to remove all moisture.
The gun safe also has a few fresh briquets changed every few months,
I really like those silicone socks. Gander mntn used to give you one with every gun you bought. I dont see them for sale anymore.

If your vacuum sealer does a good job of pumping out the air (and water vapor in that air), and you have added a dry desiccant pack, and you have cleaned and oiled the barrel, you have done just about everything that could be done other than putting some type of sealant over the metal.

I think you have a great idea.

Pour some down the barrel before vac sealing?

I really like those silicone socks. Gander mntn used to give you one with every gun you bought. I dont see them for sale anymore.
Dessicant absorbs moisture. Any place it rests will be damp to a certain extent. That' why it comes in containers large or small and not used like rock salt on a sidewalk. Once the ambient moisture is reduced, the dessicant will also eventually dry out.

Midway USA sells the silicone gunsocks. I've used them for many years.

Latest posts

Back