Van Horn barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schirmdog

Reaction score
I am looking for any information about a Dave VanHorn 26" .50 barrel I aquired. The maker explained to me that they were made and intended to use Dupont 4831 powder, but had lost all load data. My goal was to only use BH209, but am intrigued as to whether smokless would be a viable option. Does anyone have any information or history with his barrels? Thanks in advance, Jason

I am looking for any information about a Dave VanHorn 26" .50 barrel I aquired. The maker explained to me that they were made and intended to use Dupont 4831 powder, but had lost all load data. My goal was to only use BH209, but am intrigued as to whether smokless would be a viable option. Does anyone have any information or history with his barrels? Thanks in advance, Jason
So what kind of a rifle does your barrel fit?

I would NOT use smokeless powder in that barrel. That’s just my opinion.

Too bad not much info. on that barrel. I wonder why the maker choose 4831 powder? fairly slow and requires large doses. I wonder if all load data was lost for liability reasons.

If this is one that uses shell casing type ignition well they were known for leaking, and not to cut down what you have in any way, if it were mine, I would part with it for something better and try to recover some of the $$ investment. I hope for you that someone has a better answer or solution or information. Best wishes

Thanks to all for the replies. The breech plug is simply a 209 primer. I will continue the BP sub route, and hope it becomes trusted as such. I am sure to have more questions, and do, just in another part of this forum.

I think you are farther ahead with the 209 than the primed casing by far. Best wishes with your barrel and load testing. :lewis:

Back