Vanilla....for those who cook

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
There is nothing quite as pretty as the color a jug of 190 proof Everclear takes on right after vanilla beans are added to it to make vanilla flavoring for cooking use. This bottle got the beans about 12 hours ago and is coloring up real nice. The beans were super fresh and very soft....easily split with a table knife. Right after the picture got taken the bottle went back in the bag and set up on my closet shelf where it'll stay un-bothered now for about 9 months before its ready to use. I have 2 1/2 liters on the ready line in the closet so we're well prepared.

klqKUEx.jpg

This vanilla cooks very clean with zero alcohol taste and absolutely no staining of white goods...like angle food cake, which is a personal favorite.

This bottle is number 23 that I have done over the years. I number each one on a corner of the label to help keep things in order. While I have tried 151 Everclear once for this, the 190 does a far better job and I go out of my way to buy that high-test product.

Some here like hot stuff. I love my vanilla.

I’ve had a few bottles of 190 Everclear back in my OLD drinking Days, Take a big “pull” off the Bottle and chase it with some Coke, takes your breath away :D And can cause ya to do things you might not otherwise have done if you hadn’t of Drank it :lol:

All aside, That looks neat! I have never heard of doing anything like that before? You are full of COOL ideas Tom! :yeah:

I got this bottle of Everclear in Wisconsin on Wednesday during a day trip. Its the first time I have ever had to ask for Everclear at the check-out station and have a cashier literally go to the back stockroom to get it. At this store they won't have it on open shelves because of the alcohol content. This was a first for me. lol

I've been making my own vanilla for 25 years or more. I have no idea how many gallons of Everclear vanilla I have made.

Nice! I love vanilla, Have to try that. I usually pay about $40 for about a pint at the box stores for cheap stuff, and then some from fancy spice, mail order places, for the special stuff. I made a few gals of a vanilla mead this winter, and it came out awesome. (honey wine)

The Meade is a super nice wine. I'm waiting for the end of the honey season when some of the "rougher" honey starts hitting the local farmers market to make my next batch of Meade. Ma just about neutered me when I bought 12 pounds of good honey and made wine from it. The late honey up this way is cheaper as its not as high of quality and summer honey.

On the vanilla beans.... word has it there is a shortage of the suckers and prices are headed up-hill. Glad I have 3 liters in the making. Vanilla beans have always been at a cost set under market demand and I think any shortage is most likely manufactured to boot the prices up.

If you like mead try pyment (grape) or cyser (apple). Im partial to a white grape pyment and cyser personally. Sweet to semi sweet.

Our grapes are covered and near ready to pick to make vino.

Latest posts

Back