Venison Pho

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
I do love south east Asian cooking, it's not all to far from here (9 hour flight gets you to Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore or Vietnam).

Thi is one of my favourites, Pho (pronounced fu), basically a broth with a few spices and rice noodles. You place thin slivers of raw meat on top of the noodles then pour the boiling liquid over the top which cooks it. Shallot, bean shoots, chilli, lime and coriander are standard bits to add in along with some hot sauce but you can really play around with it.

20200417_205801.jpg

There are many types of pho not including the use of other meats like chicken or seafood. Rare beef, meatball and tripe just to name a few. Ive had them all at local places. The broth is normally very light and actually quite the PITA to make correctly. Its one of the few Asian foods i still struggle making. Very time intensive and you need a good selection of bones for just the right flavor. After making the broth though its rather simple and quick to prepare.

I garnish mine with Thai basil and Mexican coriander aka culantro or in Vietnam its called ngo gai. Only a handful of places here serve it with the authentic culantro (ngo gai).

Last edited:
On a side note, if your climate supports it i would recommend growing "culantro" and Vietnamese coriander if you like foods from those regions. Culantro is a bit of a pain for me to grow here but i do grow Vietnamese coriander aka laksa leaf in Singapore. The flavor is similar to cilantro but it wont bolt in my climate. Plus its simple to clone with a cutting and jar of water.

Great herb if you like Malay/Indo curries and want a steady supply. Ive got about 6 cuttings sitting in a jar of water now from last years garden.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persicaria_odorata

Pho is delicious! If someone hasn't had it, I highly recommend trying it.

Ive tried all the best rated Vietnamese places in town and the best pho is from a little Chinese Bistro in a Asian market. Their spicy noodles soups and their pho are excellent. The bowls are massive and like $10 or less. Sadly with the rona lock down i cant dine in and noodle soups dont work well "carry out".

Pho is THE must try Asian food if you think you dont like Asian food. Its just a crazy good beef noodle soup.

Im just going to have to wait because making the stock is way too time consuming for me. I can nail a Chinese sichuan noodle soup with my eyes closed but not pho. Venison would go really well in Chinese "Boiling beef" noodle soup. I like mine with daikon and blanched bok choy, nappa or even green cabbage. Vietnamese Bo Kho would be a similar style.
https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-beef-noodle-soup/
https://thewoksoflife.com/braised-beef-noodle-soup/

Last edited:
First time I had Pho was in SE Asia. From that point, I was hooked. It has become a family favorite.

Back