Venison sticks are a wrap....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Pun intended. lol

I started with 25 pounds of a 50-50 venison-pork mix seasoned and stuffed into 21mm casings instead of the smaller, harder to stuff 19mm casings. These were brought to the necessary 152 degrees in the oven then transferred to a cooling rack in the garage where they were misted with a liquid smoke solution three times during the cooling process. They hung for two full days to complete the drying process, then cut to length and vacuum wrapped. 20 packages of sticks and 5 nice packages of ends and trim.

129323057_1256218014753656_1231742422392942186_n.jpg

The liquid smoke process was new to me this year and will only get used on sticks. It sure puts a super nice smoke flavor on the casings that seeps into the meat really well and is all the smoke they need. Getting them to the 152 degrees in the oven helps keep the moisture level in check and they're pulled as soon as that temps is reached. Makes for a super nice stick. In past years I'd smoke the freshly stuffed sticks for about 4 hours to get some smoke flavor on them but at this time of year in Minnesota it can get to be a real iffy proposition with the smoker since the internal smoker temp has to be monitored to keep it consistent and wind or rapid outside air temp rises can raise heck with doing so. The spray method puts about the same amount of smoke on the sticks as four hours in the smoker then they'd get finished in the oven anyway. Doing the misting simply removes four hours of time spent handling meat where things could have gone wrong.

This year's stick are super flavorful.....gone a little snap to them by not hot. Really pleased with the outcome. I'll be doing this again next time around.

Your are doing it to us again.

Looks like it all turned out delicious. Enjoy for many days to come.

I think im going to try something like this, this year. What seasoning did you use and what cut of pork, MrTom?
I have a smoker that will maintain the temp so i would like to do the 4 hr smoker version.
Im also looking around at some venison breakfast sausage recipes.

I use the Colorado seasoning from Walton.com. Plenty of heat and plenty of salty. For the pork I use only whole pork butts, bone in, and cut them into 1" chunks like the venison. I do pork 50% and venison 50%. I stuff into 21mm casings, not the 19mm. I do not de-fat the pork.

Lookin good, im going to try the liquid smoke trick
That's about a 2 day supply for my 14 year old boy...lol

Latest posts

Back