Venting a Mould

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't brush kerosene, or something on the cast iron as a lubricant while machining?

You don't brush kerosene, or something on the cast iron as a lubricant while machining?
It depends on what I’m doing, depth of cut etc... Mostly I just use air on aluminum.
Stainless, cast, and steel I almost always use cutting oil. I just brush it onto the bit as it’s cutting. That little .003” deep scratch, I didn’t feel it was needed.

It depends on what I’m doing, depth of cut etc... Mostly I just use air on aluminum.
Stainless, cast, and steel I almost always use cutting oil. I just brush it onto the bit as it’s cutting. That little .003” deep scratch, I didn’t feel it was needed.
I mis-heard the depth of the cut you were making when I watched the video. I thought you were making a much deeper cut.

You know, Stacey, in early May, I was chopping up hickory chunks for the smoker with a hatchet, and took the tip of my middle finger off (but, uh, just the tip - :dance:). If I had access to your equipment, just think of all the self-inflicted injuries I could endure!!!

I'm very envious of you skilled types... jerks...😡

I remember the orientation talk that the incoming apprentice machinists, and tool & die makers were given in 1973 at Middlestadt Machine Shop. There were 10 of us, and WE ALL HAD LONG HAIR. Not one of us was older than 19.

All of us were warned that long hair and fast moving machinery did not mix well. We all looked at these "OLD MEN", many of them scarred up from accidents with lathes, mills, band saws, etc, many of them missing fingers from one, or both hands; and to a person we all said FU, it can't happen to us. NOT ONE OF US CUT OUR HAIR.

About 8 months later, I was leaning over an aluminum workpiece for NASA, in a Bridgeport mill running well over 3000 rpm, brushing kerosene on the part for a finish cut, when about a dozen locks of hair that had escaped from under my bandana got caught in the spindle of the mill.

JUST LIKE THAT, IN LESS THAN A SECOND, MY FACE WAS PULLED RIGHT TOWARDS THE END MILL SPINNING AT 3000 PLUS RPM.

An intense adrenaline dump caused me to jerk backwards, yanking out by the roots those dozen (plus) hairs. Needless to say I was scared sh@$%^$$. As soon as I got off work, I WENT AND GOT A SHORT HAIRCUT.

Lesson learned. All the other apprentices asked why I cut my hair the following day. When I told them it had NO IMPACT ON THEIR BEHAVIOR. They all kept their long hair until a couple had near disastrous accidents due to the length of their hair (3 others).

I was using a file, without a handle, pretty close to the chuck one day to put a small chamfer on a part I was parting off. I backed the file up a little too far and one of the jaws caught the end, slamming the tang into my palm. I received a small, not deep, puncture wound on that one. Another time on the band saw, I was hand cutting a section out on a sprue plate and didn’t realize how hard I was pushing, when the blade came out of the cut, it went into my thumb, again not deep as the saw was moving pretty slow. That one hurt pretty bad though and took a week of duct tape to heal up. All my other cuts and injuries were by inanimate objects, moving too quick with a piece of sheet metal, or on a sharp milling bit when getting too close with a chip brush while cleaning the vise to re-position a part (mill not running). The worst was removing a stainless cobweb from a part, and had a piece slice into my thumb. I use pliers now.
It definitely pays to pay attention and not be distracted.
In my 32 years of doing HVAC, I have built and installed miles of sheet metal ductwork. I don’t wear gloves and I’ve only had two occasions when I received stitches. The first time, I hit myself above the eye with my hammer, right next to my eyebrow (bending over a drive cleat about 2” from a wall so I had to swing with little, short, hard, strokes, missed and whacked myself) That one didn’t really need stitched, but, we had AFLAC and it was covered by worker’s compensation so I went in and got three stitches and a week or so later a check from AFLAC for $175 bucks. The other time I was loading a sheet of plywood and ran a 2-1/2” long sliver into my thigh. I couldn’t pull it with pliers and had to have it cut out. That was 10-12 stitches.
I draw blood on a weekly basis with the sheet metal, most of the time I don’t know I’ve been cut until I see a drop on the metal. Like I said, I’ve been pretty lucky.

IMG_20200504_065931526_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpg

I wasn't kidding in my earlier post: 11# prime rib roast, a seasoned hickory branch about 6" in diameter sawed into "slices", and a hatchet.

See, Stacey and Bruce, your boo boo stories are cool, and you use words like "lathe", "chip brush", and "chamfer".

My story starts like this: "Duh, gee Tennessee, I was holding one a' dem hatchets..."

Once upon a time i was trying to find an outlet in my friends barn that i could plug my circular saw into to cut one 2x4. By the time i got to a live one my arm was tired and the saw was resting against my leg and then there was blood EVERYWHERE! I thought for sure im going to die. But turned out there are no big veins or arteries in that part of the upper thigh. Got 44 stitches. About 20 around 1" deep and the rest at the surface.
IMG_0458.JPG

Once upon a time i was trying to find an outlet in my friends barn that i could plug my circular saw into to cut one 2x4. By the time i got to a live one my arm was tired and the saw was resting against my leg and then there was blood EVERYWHERE! I thought for sure im going to die. But turned out there are no big veins or arteries in that part of the upper thigh. Got 44 stitches. About 20 around 1" deep and the rest at the surface.
View attachment 9471
Ouch!

I had nothing that serious happen to me but I was lucky! I was cutting tall brush around my pond with my Hand Sickle. It got dull, so I sharpened it. I continued cutting away when the sickle hit a rock and bounced up and caught the finger next to my pinky of the hand that was holding the brush. I was afraid to look but I saw the finger was still there and not bleeding. I said Whew I was lucky. Then I did something stupid, I touched where the blade had hit and the cut gave way and I saw down to the bone. Needless to say the blood started flowing. I forget how many stitches I got, but being I cut the tendon, I can no longer bend the upper portion of that finger. It has not impacted me, but I count my blessings I still have the finger as like I said I just sharpened that blade.

Latest posts

Back