Vernier sight come-ups

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
This is a GENERAL rule for vernier sight come ups for black powder ctg. rifle shooters. These settings should get you close to your target. Having a spotter to spot your misses will help save some ammo and get you on target a lot quicker. Shooting alone will be a complete waste of time and ammo. These come-ups DO NOT apply to wimpy cowboy loads.
From your 100 yard setting come up 10 minutes to get to 200 yards.
" " 200 " " " " 15 " " " " 300 "
" " 300 " " " " 15 " " " " 400 "
" " 400 " " " " 20 " " " " 500 "
These settings will get you close using the common BP CTG. calibers. X

I used that exact formula today with my Shilo 45-70 (65grn Ole E .030 card wad and a 450 grn bullet). 10 was just a tad to much going from 100 to 200. More like 7 on my MVA vernier tang. Just starting to work with this rifle a little. That got me on paper at 200. It was nice to have a spotter today. He could see that I was just a little tall with the 10 min adjustment.

I used that exact formula today with my Shilo 45-70 (65grn Ole E .030 card wad and a 450 grn bullet). 10 was just a tad to much going from 100 to 200. More like 7 on my MVA vernier tang. Just starting to work with this rifle a little. That got me on paper at 200. It was nice to have a spotter today. He could see that I was just a little tall with the 10 min adjustment.
Great! The formula will get you close using just about any common BP ctg. The only problem I have seen is that some shooters don't know how to read and adjust their vernier sights or know what a minute of angle is at different distances. X

Last time I was out with my .45 Knight Mountaineer I was sighted in 2" high @ 100 yards. My load was 80 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 under a Hornady 200 gr XTP in a Harvester light blue CR sabot. Shooting with a dead on hold @ 200 yards I was only 6" low.
I'm not sure how that correlated to MOA because I was +2 MOA at 100 and -3 MOA at 200. I would imagine with a zero at 100 I would more likely be closer to 7 MOA at 200.
Now this is with an inline ML so I would surmise that with a 300 gr .458" bullet and 70 gr of FFg the 10 MOA up would be about right. Or at least like the OP said, really close.

Latest posts

Back