Very very very very very very stuck breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlelonghair

Reaction score
I've thrown everything at this thing and I do mean everything it's in an Apollo 50 caliber CVA now it's time for action all the suggestions I can get is appreciated probably some I've done tried or all all help appreciated guys

Chuck it a lathe, cut it down until just the threads remain, pick them out with a dental pick. It is a pain in the butt, but it works. You may be able to find a shop to do it for you. I've never done a breech plug like this, but have several other stuck bolts.

Thanks m t y if I can find a place like that around here that doesn't charge an arm and a leg might be more than what is worth

If it does come out, will probably bugger the barrel threads.

Yeah it's pretty bad muzzy I'm going to do something even if it's wrong but that's what I heard was heat which I've tried a little bit of heat I'm going to take it to my brother-in-law's he's got a good torch and a good vice and a tool to fit it that may help if not scrap but The rifleing is really really good

If you can, use a length of pipe for a breaker bar on the breech plug wrench or ratchet wrench. Soak the snot out of the threads with something like PB Blaster or other penetrating oil for a day or 2 prior.

Yeah I thought everything at it deer man for about 2 weeks now maybe hopeless or a good machine shop with a metal lathe

Freeall is a penetrating lubricant. I’d guess let it soak for about 30 minutes and will come out.

Back