Very very very very very very stuck breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah bloodhound I agree with you to me if you can't remove the breech plug seems like a throwaway gun and why I put the effort in putting slots in it and to make it look like it's removable makes no sense

No I didn't say it smoke pole told me because I'm like you

i didn't mean you.

And i don't doubt for one minute that someone at CVA informed Smokepole 61 that the plug was not to be removed.

In the late 90s and early 2000s CVA inline rifles were wildly popular here. The 209 primer craze hit and i installed 209 breech plugs into a few Apollo and large numbers of Eclipse and Stag Horn rifles.

My Stag Horn was bought in 2000 and has fired about 3,500 rounds, mostly using Pyrodex. The bore appears new.

Heard yes I heard from different people that they made a non-removable breach plug at one point in Apollo it would be good to know what year that was mine is 97

The 1995 and 96 manufactured Apollo rifles had defective breech plugs: Threads ranged from defective to nearly non-existent. Those defective breech plugs blew out of some guns and seriously injured shooters. There was a recall of all 55,000 rifles sold.

The guns were manufactured in Spain which requires firearms be proof tested. Somehow the rifles were sold in the US without being proofed. Last update i had indicated that four percent of the defective rifles are still out there.

The situation was corrected with the 1997 Apollo.

Last edited:
Yeah I think the recall was 95 and 96 mine's a 97 can I put a drill bit just dropped it down in it after it cleared it was a 5/32 just wondering if that's right

I went through this last year with an apollo, I was trying to fix it for an amish fried who found it in a barn. The nipple had been twisted off and half the breach plug slot was busted off. I drilled out the nipple and tried a good size easy out and it would budge and this was after I pulled the bullet and dumped the load that who knows how long it was in there and pour kroil down the barrel and let it sit 5 days. I ended up with help from my brother, while I applied good pressure to the easy out with an extension and ratchet he was heating it with a torch, about the time I could see the metal turning red it broke loose. I took and cleaned up where the torch burnt and reblued it. I really thought there would be pitting in the bore but it was really good, put in a new breach plug and nipple and everything worked great and shot good groups.

I had an extremely stuck reach plug in my mk85 there's a welding shop right next door to where I work and I took it over to them and I don't know what they did but they got it out and it cost me twenty bucks and I put a new breech plug in and the things as accurate as ever.

I had an extremely stuck reach plug in my mk85 there's a welding shop right next door to where I work and I took it over to them and I don't know what they did but they got it out and it cost me twenty bucks and I put a new breech plug in and the things as accurate as ever.
My guess would be they broke out the torch and got it good and hot.

Well guys I just talked to CVA they don't know nothing so they told me to call deer Creek deer Creek said that those breech plugs do come out he said the only thing left was heat so I think everybody for their help that's going to be my next step

I forget if you mentioned if it was unloaded, be sure it is and double check before heating, heat it up good. Will help if you have someone there to help hold everything.

Oh yeah it's unloaded that's the first thing I check and I'll probably take it to my brother-in-laws he has a good vice and a good torch he said we would just heat it up gradually probably be Monday or Tuesday

An old machinist trick for removing stuck bolts is Beeswax. I have used it in places where you can't get tools and it worked. You heat the area and apply the wax, it will wick its way in the threads and loosen it.

I did this in a very tight spot on a Honda water pump bolt where I could just barely get a small vise grip on a the broken bolt. Each time I heated and applied the wax I could only get an 1/8 turn, took me 2 days to remove working in between other jobs but saved me pulling the motor.

Bottom line, like others have said it heat, but this adds a bit of lubricant to the process.

Welding something on is a good idea either way to get a grip on it, good luck!

An old machinist trick for removing stuck bolts is Beeswax. I have used it in places where you can't get tools and it worked. You heat the area and apply the wax, it will wick its way in the threads and loosen it.

I did this in a very tight spot on a Honda water pump bolt where I could just barely get a small vise grip on a the broken bolt. Each time I heated and applied the wax I could only get an 1/8 turn, took me 2 days to remove working in between other jobs but saved me pulling the motor.
Now Thats what im taking about 👍. Heat cycles, penetrant and PATIENCE

Back