Very very very very very very stuck breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Idaholewis posted on page 1 of this thread - steam. A cheap hand steamer will work wonders, usually in short order. I always pull the breech plug of a new or new-to-me muzzy and lube it with uber hi-temp Nikal, never know when it'll need to get removed and BP mitigation into all threads is guaranteed to happen sooner than later and that will literally weld metal to metal.

That is the same thing my brother did with hist/c triumph muzzleloader.2 years he never pulled the bp to clean the thing.After a lot of effort I was able to get it out.I made him clean it and showed him what to do.I told him about ant-seize on the threads or like I do,wrap plumpers tape aroundthe bp threads.Told him next time I was going to charge him $30.00 to clean it.Guess what he did with the $30.00?Went out and bought suppies to clean the plug and teflon tape.Good investment.

I did use Teflon tape once and found it not as effective as even Permatex auto anti-seize lube, but Nikal anti-seize is better yet. Anything screwed into a bbl gets Nikal'd - breech plugs, touch hole liners, snails/bolsters, sights, etc.

Thanks RFD
But I got it out good old drill & easy out
And a little heat but I bought the gun that way mine is nothing to take out don't take long to take one out and clean it

I use Permatex nickel anti seize, which can be found at most auto parts suppliers. If they don’t have it on hand then they will order it in and usually have it the next day. Saves the shipping costs. :lewis: And a small tube costs about $5 and it lasts for years.

Permatex is what I initially used and it works just fine ... there is no need to go the Nikal route, but I do a fair amount of amateur gunsmithing and want to use what I believe is the better anti-seize grease.

I'm very new to ML's and have a CVA Optima V2. With all the reading I did before hand I fully understood the possibilities of things getting gummed up. That said I have been overly careful about keeping the breech plug threads and barrel clean and I am using moly graphite grease. After shooting 15-20 shots I clean at the range, then do a deep clean within a day or two at home.

The breech plug goes in and out like butter and I can't imagine the kind of neglect it takes to get one stuck, knowing the properties of BP and substitutes, I would fully expect a ruined gun if I ever just put it away without cleaning.

Yep, addressing fouling control during shooting, but more importantly addressing cleaning after shooting is key to a happy BP firearm, muzzy or cartridge. The longer the wait for cleaning, the harder the BP residue will be and that leads to corrosion. Immediately after the last shot of the day, the BP firearm gets a sloppy wet moose milk or Ballistol or WD40 or any kinda oil down the bore and the action is spritzed well with any like fluid. If it's a muzzy, the wet patched rod stays down the bore for the trip back to the ranch where the final cleaning takes place. For a trad sidelock, the lock comes off and is dunked in bucket of tap water whilst the touch hole gets plugged and tap water goes down the tube. The rest is easy and done inside of 15 minutes.

Back