Vintage Pistols

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

deermanok

Supporter
Supporter
Took my old CVA mountain and Kentucky pistols to the range this morning. Haven't shot either in a while.
For whatever reason, I couldn't hit for beans with the patched ball today.
I put the 45 away and loaded up the 50 with a few PA conicals.
Actually shot decent with them. 45 grains by volume of 3f Swiss.
I would definitely take a close shot at a deer with the Mountain pistol. Range was 25 yards off the bench. 20210723_083034.jpg20210723_104726.jpg

Fyrstyk

I took a small 4-pt buck at 35 yards with my .50 caliber trapper pistol. It dropped like a rock. Don't think I would try to shoot beyond 35 yards at game, and it would have to be a broadside, non-moving shot.

MrTom

I own the same two guns deermanok. I haven't shot them an years. Same calibers perhaps. My .45 wasn't too bad on accuracy at 25 yards but the 50 was better iwith prb's. I always wanted to try a ball-ette type of projectile but could never find them locally and mail order was slow enough that I just gave up. On-line orders were still a figment of the imagination back when I'd shoot them. I'm half thinking of having some decent sights added to each and finding a couple molds to play with....what weight are the PA conicals you shoot?

deermanok

Supporter
Supporter
I own the same two guns deermanok. I haven't shot them an years. Same calibers perhaps. My .45 wasn't too bad on accuracy at 25 yards but the 50 was better iwith prb's. I always wanted to try a ball-ette type of projectile but could never find them locally and mail order was slow enough that I just gave up. On-line orders were still a figment of the imagination back when I'd shoot them. I'm half thinking of having some decent sights added to each and finding a couple molds to play with....what weight are the PA conicals you shoot?
240 grains. Both pistols shot good with a patched ball but today, I couldn't even hit the frame. I don't get it. Maybe the humidity?
Muzzle-Loaders.com usually has the PA conicals in stock.
They are about 18 bucks for 50.
They ship for free. I think anything under 50 dollars.

deermanok

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for the info!
If you order from muzzleloaders.com
There's a signature required box.
You can uncheck that box and save $ 5.00. Don't get why they have it because FedEx doesn't require a signature anymore.

hairybird

I took a small 4-pt buck at 35 yards with my .50 caliber trapper pistol. It dropped like a rock. Don't think I would try to shoot beyond 35 yards at game, and it would have to be a broadside, non-moving shot.
I got lucky today after a good day at the range. Stopped at my favorite small gun store and they had a TC Hawkens 50 cal. that was picked up yesterday in a trade-in allowance. The gun was from a personal collection and was fired when purchased back in the late 70s. $150.00 later I left the store with a smile on my face. Those guns aren't popular in my area and will sit in store until they rust. Very few of us old guys enjoy them.

Latest posts