Virginia Opening Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
How was everyone's opener?

Beautiful cold day where I hunt. Sat all day, but saw fewer deer than I expected. I started sitting in a natural blind I made in the woods. Didn't see anything and was surprised how few acorns were left. Moved to a ladder stand overlooking a field in the afternoon. I had a button buck picking around on the edge of a thicket for about an hour. Right at sunset a large body spike buck walked down the field towards my stand. I normally would have let him pass, but this year my leave is subject to recall if the rocks start flying after the election. Not knowing how much I'll get to hunt this year, I decided to take him. It was an easy 50 yard shot other than having to stand on the bench of the stand to shoot over a tree. At the shot he ran into the thicket and I thought I heard him crash. Went to where I thought the shot site was and found nothing. I couldn't find blood anywhere and doubt started to set in. Resorted to a blind search of the thicket and found him near where I heard the crash. There was a massive blood trail just not where I thought he went. It always amazes me how my mind can see something that didn't happen. Was shooting my favorite Knight MK-85, 110 grains of T7 FFG powder and a Harvester 300 grain PT Gold Scorpian in a Crushrib Sabot lit by a #11 cap.

Curious where in virginia? When I lived there I hunted Bath and Agusta counties. Killed deer on "mad lick ridge" and near "jerk em tight" creek.

Congrats way to get the job done! Let’s hope things remain civil after the election and you can stay on leave!!

I killed a fat corn fed 4 point, fork horn, heavy body, Augusta Co farm.
White .451 Super 91, 488 bullshop conical, 80 gr. Triple 7 3fg Remington mag#11 cap. Double lungs perfect shot watched him drop.

Passed on a spike later in evening Rockingham County.IMG_20201031_094625570.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats guys!

I hunted morning and eve on Sat. Saw 3 small bucks, one pretty nice 8pt and 7 does/fawns. The 8pt was bouncing some does around. He had a pretty thick rack, but wasn't wide and tines weren't that long. He wasn't what I wanted so I hope he makes it. I do have a couple bucks around that I hope to bump in to :lewis: Hope to get back out sometime this week if I can.

Congrats on a beautiful buck. :lewis:

Excellent conditions for the opener in Virginia. Nice and cool. This guy was just cruising not chasing when I saw him at about 0815.

Attachments

• 7D30D15B-C080-49B4-9B3B-564C6E0775A6.jpeg
    7D30D15B-C080-49B4-9B3B-564C6E0775A6.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 21
I hunt in Amherst and Nelson counties. That one is from the Pleasantview area of Amherst.

Back