Volume vs. Weighted

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

01Foreman400

Reaction score
So it looks like I’ve been cheating myself from being max charge. LOL This is 84 gr. weighted. Looks like I could add 10 more grains by volume. I guess this is safe to add 10 more grains by volume then weigh it and then start loading this size charge if I wanted to?

It shoots really well with the 84 gr. weighted so I’m not changing anything. Just curious is all.

061C1007-42AA-42BF-9229-61A9A4456BE7.jpeg

...................I guess this is safe to add 10 more grains by volume then weigh it and then start loading this size charge if I wanted to?

Yes it is safe.

Blackhorn densities change with lots. The highest # lot seen here is 35, which also has the highest density of recent lots. From this lot #35, 95g weighs 70g.

Out of curiosity, what is your lot # ?

So it looks like I’ve been cheating myself from being max charge. LOL This is 84 gr. weighted. Looks like I could add 10 more grains by volume. I guess this is safe to add 10 more grains by volume then weigh it and then start loading this size charge if I wanted to?

It shoots really well with the 84 gr. weighted so I’m not changing anything. Just curious is all.

View attachment 8392

Everybody is overlooking one big thing. They are not even considering that their scale may not be accurate, calibrated. The Volumetric powder measure is going to be the same every time.

What type of scale are you using?

Your powder measure needs to be relieved of static cling. You can see the granules in the top are clinging to the sides. Just use a dryer/fabric softener sheet and wipe out the inside of the measure and funnel. This will last for quite awhile before it needs to be done again. If you use any plastic in your powder measuring, remove static first.

By removing static from the equation, you will get more consistent charges. This goes for plastic storage tubes, powder funnel on your jug, powder drop, plastic pan on scale as well. One fabric softener sheet will do everything in your process.

Unless you are using a calibrated beam type scale, a digital scale would be higher on my suspect list than a Volumetric powder measure. The Volumetric powder measure is mechanical and cannot lie to you, a digital powder scale, not so much.

Static in a plastic volume measure is exactly why I stay with the old brass measure. It does not show static, not that it can't but to me it it not near the problem that plastic measure can show.

I am not a big fan of BH - basically because of price - a lot of the other things I really do like about it. You can see I am still using Lot #6 and still have 8 jugs of that left, but getting bored one time I did do my normal thing throwing powder by volume and then weighing it on a beam scale.

This has been the results.

tossed-BH.jpg

I still have a bunch of lot 6 left so at this point I am not weighing any longer. I also have 12 bottles of lot 30 that I got a buy out a year or so ago - when I get to them I will repeat the throw weigh process...

Last edited:
My scales are fine and are checked regularly with known weight objects. I also use metal when I can as seen in the picture. You can also see a dryer sheet in the picture as well. This was taken back in February.

E7A035ED-406A-47D3-8703-B8476A3C75B9.jpeg

Last edited:
My scales are fine and are checked regularly with known weight objects. I also use metal when I can as seen in the picture. You can also see a dryer sheet in the picture as well. This was taken back in February.

View attachment 8393

Looks like you have it under control. If those tubes in the ammo boxes with the orange caps are the Blackhorn 209 tubes, don't rely on the markings on those. They are about 10 grains off after the powder settles.

Looks like you are about 110 grains by VOLUME. That is probably one of the most popular loads across all the production rifles and assorted bullet loads for best accuracy. Very good load!

Everybody is overlooking one big thing. They are not even considering that their scale may not be accurate, calibrated. The Volumetric powder measure is going to be the same every time.

What type of scale are you using?

Your powder measure needs to be relieved of static cling. You can see the granules in the top are clinging to the sides. Just use a dryer/fabric softener sheet and wipe out the inside of the measure and funnel. This will last for quite awhile before it needs to be done again. If you use any plastic in your powder measuring, remove static first.

By removing static from the equation, you will get more consistent charges. This goes for plastic storage tubes, powder funnel on your jug, powder drop, plastic pan on scale as well. One fabric softener sheet will do everything in your process.

Unless you are using a calibrated beam type scale, a digital scale would be higher on my suspect list than a Volumetric powder measure. The Volumetric powder measure is mechanical and cannot lie to you, a digital powder scale, not so much.
In the magnum cf world a digital electronic scale is one of the quickest ways to get yourself in trouble with pressure if it gets squirrelly on ya . My 300WM is loaded to healthy 300RUM velocities and id NEVER TRUST a digital even close to the ragged edge !!! Thats pretty well known stuff for sure or Should Be !!! If i cant trust one there why trust it anywhere ???

Last edited:
Most digital scales come with weights to accurately verify the scale. The manufacturers also warn you against using them with black powder.

However, we are not dealing at all with CF pressures, where a single grain could spell disaster. BH209 is not even in the same ball park as smokeless when it comes to pressures. There are considerable safety measures included in BH.

I've never found a need to go beyond my beam scale.

Really doesnt matter to me . Any decent scale should have standards to verify accuracy . I made a point about the absolute finest of ways to do it or not to do it . Whats yours when in the end you use a beam ??? Nothing at all.......

Easy, my point was...……..

Most digital scales come with weights to accurately verify the scale. The manufacturers also warn you against using them with black powder.

However, we are not dealing at all with CF pressures, where a single grain could spell disaster. BH209 is not even in the same ball park as smokeless when it comes to pressures. There are considerable safety measures included in BH.

I've never found a need to go beyond my beam scale.

In the magnum cf world a digital electronic scale is one of the quickest ways to get yourself in trouble with pressure if it gets squirrelly on ya . My 300WM is loaded to healthy 300RUM velocities and id NEVER TRUST a digital even close to the ragged edge !!! Thats pretty well known stuff for sure or Should Be !!! If i cant trust one there why trust it anywhere ???

Exactly! I use digital measuring equipment every day at work, but it's precision top of the line world class equipment, and calibrated frequently. It's fast and easy, but we still have old school mechanical backups, because they never lie to you.

Some of the measuring equipment is battery powered, and when the batteries start to get low, they will start lying to you.

Most hobbyists just use inexpensive battery powered scales, because they are cheap and fast. Some actually work pretty good, others not so much.

It's a good idea to have a Maximim powder charge reference line marked on all your powder tubes/vials, as most are translucent. That especially goes for anyone that uses any scales, digital or mechanical. Even more importantly, having a witness mark on all your ramrods for your current load.

I'm old school when it comes to safety, but I can still count to 10 on the old digits, 20 if I'm not wearing shoes. 21 if the barn door is open!

Exactly! I use digital measuring equipment every day at work, but it's precision top of the line world class equipment, and calibrated frequently. It's fast and easy, but we still have old school mechanical backups, because they never lie to you.

Some of the measuring equipment is battery powered, and when the batteries start to get low, they will start lying to you.

Most hobbyists just use inexpensive battery powered scales, because they are cheap and fast. Some actually work pretty good, others not so much.

It's a good idea to have a Maximim powder charge reference line marked on all your powder tubes/vials, as most are translucent. That especially goes for anyone that uses any scales, digital or mechanical. Even more importantly, having a witness mark on all your ramrods for your current load.

I'm old school when it comes to safety, but I can still count to 10 on the old digits, 20 if I'm not wearing shoes. 21 if the barn door is open!
At my age I often forget to shut the old barn door!

Back