W Wa Bull

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browndogz

Reaction score
Not a long story but a long pack out. I got this bull Monday night hunting by myself. I had a couple of friends a couple of miles away. I got a text from one of them as I was riding in that he got a 4x4 small bull down as I was watching this herd from 39 yds. I put this guy down about 6 pm. Being about 2 miles back and he was in a creek bottom. I got front and rear quarters off one side and a back strap. Then went to help them pack out and have them help me. All went well and we got both bulls on ice in coolers at the trucks right at 3am. Knight .52, 100g/v 3f ttt7, 375 gr Red Hot.DEB87F4F-197E-40B5-BD1E-157E3B5D9FAE.jpeg

Admire your bull and your (work ethic) getting that much meat out by yourself then helping your buddy get his and then the rest of yours . Makes for a long day but a great one/Ed

The pack wasn’t easy, it was rewarding. I didn’t pack mine myself. I helped him and then had him help me. Mine had a creek bottom and steep bank and wouldn’t have been safe alone. I have had knee surgery and both Achilles ruptured and repaired in the past 5 years. One of the biggest concerns my PT had was a slip with a load.

The pack wasn’t easy, it was rewarding. I didn’t pack mine myself. I helped him and then had him help me. Mine had a creek bottom and steep bank and wouldn’t have been safe alone. I have had knee surgery and both Achilles ruptured and repaired in the past 5 years. One of the biggest concerns my PT had was a slip with a load.
Like Larry the cable guy always says You got er done !

That's a nice animal. I love the dark/tawny contrast of the colors of the critters fur and those dark antlers look super nice.

I'm too old to carry bones out. I cut the meat from the bones in the field. Much less mess and the meat cools much faster. No need to gut the animal. I can field butcher an elk in about 3 hours by myself. I place the meat in plastic bags and place it in the shade (away from canyon bottom where predators roam). I often have to finish the job the next day. I've only lost meat twice. Once when we left it in the bottom and a fox got to it just before we did, and another time when I left meat near a pack rat nest. Once we got two bulls down in the afternoon about 4 miles from camp in 75 degree heat. Had it all in the cooler by about 1;00 PM the next day. The meat we left in the shade was well cooled by morning.

When I was a snow skier, I found that the most likely time to hurt yourself was in the afternoon when you were tired. After hunting all day, butchering, and carrying out one load, it is time for a rest.

Congrats on your elk , I"m probably not the 1st to say this but, hot meat in plastic sours fast (the bigger the faster) . Most folks use muslin bags ,breaths/cools and keeps fly's off ,or hang it naked with lots of pepper and it crusts over .just sayin/Ed

Back