W Wa Bull

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your elk , I"m probably not the 1st to say this but, hot meat in plastic sours fast (the bigger the faster) . Most folks use muslin bags ,breaths/cools and keeps fly's off ,or hang it naked with lots of pepper and it crusts over .just sayin/Ed

Understand, I use caribou bags knock offs. Ordered the real thing a couple years ago but i couldn’t wait for the back order so I bought the knockoffs (Allen). I would never consider plastic. I have had the suggestion of lining pack during the pack out to make it easier to clean. I wouldn’t even consider that unless it was real cold. Cleaning the pack doesn’t take that long.

Mount Adams
No I was west of there, it’s a true Rosey.
This was a weird season. Very quite, I think it’s the first time I have gone a day without seeing a cow, prior to this herd. I had some friends go in north of Adam’s but they ended up in an area that would require stock to get a bull out.

It's such a heartening story to see how elk have been reintroduced to, and are thriving, in Eastern states such as West Virginia where the native elk populations had been hunted to extinction.

Congratulations on a successful hunt, and in respecting your limitations as life has taken its toll on your body.

Yes it was very quiet this year in the woods. I did not hear one bugle. I was hunting NW of the Mt Adams Wilderness. Heard tell that a hunter was seen packing out a bull similar in size of yours. I was curious if it may have been you. Congratulations on your harvest.

Yes it was very quiet this year in the woods. I did not hear one bugle. I was hunting NW of the Mt Adams Wilderness. Heard tell that a hunter was seen packing out a bull similar in size of yours. I was curious if it may have been you. Congratulations on your harvest.

This guy let out a weak bugle a couple mins before I shot. I honesty I don’t think you would have heard it more than 50 yds away with the noise of the creek.

My dad and granddad used cloth bags. Cloth bags dry and stick to the meat and are a mess to get off. I've been using plastic for years in southern NM including May and September hunts, and never, never, never, had any meat spoil. That said, I don't leave it out in the sun. To each his own. This is a muzzleloader forum, so I guess doing things the old way is appropriate.

Latest posts

Back