W209 primer blew up in CVA Accura.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So looking at the original picture, I think I see the anvil pushed back through. If the firing pin punctured the primer, wouldn't the pressure from the powder burn potentially push the anvil back out the other way?

When a primer blows up like that, I am 99 percent your conical was off your charge. That also explains the much slower velocity.
Or you double loaded. That also will explain big kick and slow velocity.

Fairly new to muzzleloaders. Bought the CVA Accura V2 LR 45 cal. last year. Accurate enough to kill a 130" 4 point buck at 180 yds.

This year while sighting in I had a primer blow up. The gun kicked like a mule on that shot. Scope kissed my nose.
Was shooting through a chronograph. The first shot (no problem) was 1226 fps and on target.
Second shot (ouch) was 735 fps plus a sore shoulder and nose and possibly a few expletives...

When I opened the action the primer was flattened and black and looked like shrapnel. Also including a comparison photo with the primer from the previous shot. You can see it shows an indentation from the firing pin retainer.
The load is:
Winchester W209 primer
BH209 60 gr by weight
Powerbelt ELR 280 gr.

I use the CVA BH209 QRBP.

I verified that I didn't double load the gun.
All loads had been weighed that morning and put into speed loaders.
Bullet was seated on the powder.
I had disassembled and cleaned everything including the firing pin assembly and breech plug only 5 shots before.

What happened?
Is the gun safe to shoot?
Is it a gun or primer problem?
Is this common?

Thanks for your help.
View attachment 16095View attachment 16096

MYSTERY SOLVED!
First I want to thank CVA for checking out the gun in response to this.

Second- thanks to all of you who weighed in. It was a helpful learning process for me and others who read your posts.

Third- every one who voted that I launched the ramrod consider yourself a winner.

I was shooting 100 yards. A friend spent 2 days looking and found the ramrod 50 yards farther out where it had hit a large rock. It's obviously happy to see me again. Although its working days are over.
It now has a prominent place in my trophy room to remind me what NOT to do again.
20210916_161032.jpg

Back