W209 primers

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

Charlie-NY

I've been using CCI 209 mag primers with a max load of BH but can no longer find CCI mag primers. I did find some Win 209 primers. Can I use them with the same results?

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
I have been using the Win 209 primers (Blue Box) for several years with no issues. Shooting 100 grains of BH209.

CatamountRob

When I first tried BH209 it was with Win 209 shotgun primers because I had lots of them, they worked fine at the range when it was cool but they didn’t work during hunting season when it was cold. At the time tho I knew nothing about using drill bits to clean the carbon from my breechplugs and it’s quite possible that if I had they’d have worked fine.
I switched to CCI 209M’s and I’ve never tried anything else since.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporter
At the albrecht auction in Michigan there are 3 items of 1000 each of cci 209 primers. But they go by cci 157. I think their version of the 209. You could call them and see about shipping. Or I could pick them up and send them but Im afraid of the cost of hazmat and shipping.

southdakbearfan

At the albrecht auction in Michigan there are 3 items of 1000 each of cci 209 primers. But they go by cci 157. I think their version of the 209. You could call them and see about shipping. Or I could pick them up and send them but Im afraid of the cost of hazmat and shipping.
cci 157’s are not 209 primers. They have a smaller diameter and are cci’s version of the long gone rem57* primer. They were made for Remington hulls from the 60’s and 70’s and haven’t been in production since the 80’s I believe.

I actually have about 800 cci157’s and you can use them in a muzzy, but you get a lot of blow by and they may rattle out being of a smaller diameter. You can also sleeve them with a piece of drinking straw to load in a shotgun hull taking a 209 primer in a pinch.

The cci109 is their old version of the 209 primer, it had no flash hole cover so it was not recommended for ball powders in shotguns for reference.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Ive used mostly Win209s with BH209 and never had a problem. This was in Knight/Lehigh plugs so they may or may not work as well in other brands. I even shot easy loading soft lead concials without a single hickup. They should be fine in any well made BH209 compatible plug that is clean and seals well. A dirty flash CHANNEL is the #1 cause of primers not working in a compatible rifle.

If you are not cleaning the channel with the correct size drill bit...chances are its NOT clean.

bandicoot

Does anyone know which 209 is the smallest in diameter? I had a mod to my gun done, and my 40 year-old CCIs' will not go into battery. Thanks.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporter
There is a thread In the Inline forum.

Sabot + bullet total diameters + primer dimensions.

Take a look there. About the 4th thread down

southdakbearfan

CCI157 or REM57* were the smallest I know of being produced, but they have been out of production for a long time, like almost 40 years.

southdakbearfan

40 year old primers work just fine, if stored properly.

From the limited description I would suspect the conversion, not the primer if the gun won’t go into battery.

Latest posts