W209 primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie-NY

Reaction score
I've been using CCI 209 mag primers with a max load of BH but can no longer find CCI mag primers. I did find some Win 209 primers. Can I use them with the same results?

When I first tried BH209 it was with Win 209 shotgun primers because I had lots of them, they worked fine at the range when it was cool but they didn’t work during hunting season when it was cold. At the time tho I knew nothing about using drill bits to clean the carbon from my breechplugs and it’s quite possible that if I had they’d have worked fine.
I switched to CCI 209M’s and I’ve never tried anything else since.

At the albrecht auction in Michigan there are 3 items of 1000 each of cci 209 primers. But they go by cci 157. I think their version of the 209. You could call them and see about shipping. Or I could pick them up and send them but Im afraid of the cost of hazmat and shipping.

At the albrecht auction in Michigan there are 3 items of 1000 each of cci 209 primers. But they go by cci 157. I think their version of the 209. You could call them and see about shipping. Or I could pick them up and send them but Im afraid of the cost of hazmat and shipping.

cci 157’s are not 209 primers. They have a smaller diameter and are cci’s version of the long gone rem57* primer. They were made for Remington hulls from the 60’s and 70’s and haven’t been in production since the 80’s I believe.

I actually have about 800 cci157’s and you can use them in a muzzy, but you get a lot of blow by and they may rattle out being of a smaller diameter. You can also sleeve them with a piece of drinking straw to load in a shotgun hull taking a 209 primer in a pinch.

The cci109 is their old version of the 209 primer, it had no flash hole cover so it was not recommended for ball powders in shotguns for reference.

Ive used mostly Win209s with BH209 and never had a problem. This was in Knight/Lehigh plugs so they may or may not work as well in other brands. I even shot easy loading soft lead concials without a single hickup. They should be fine in any well made BH209 compatible plug that is clean and seals well. A dirty flash CHANNEL is the #1 cause of primers not working in a compatible rifle.

If you are not cleaning the channel with the correct size drill bit...chances are its NOT clean.

Does anyone know which 209 is the smallest in diameter? I had a mod to my gun done, and my 40 year-old CCIs' will not go into battery. Thanks.

CCI157 or REM57* were the smallest I know of being produced, but they have been out of production for a long time, like almost 40 years.

40 year old primers work just fine, if stored properly.

From the limited description I would suspect the conversion, not the primer if the gun won’t go into battery.

Nope. It's the primers. It's a size issue. They go off just fine.

Back