Wads? Yes? No?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do most people shoot wads with their inlines? Are they worth trying?
Just ordered all my shooting stuff to finally shoot my new accura but didn’t buy wads.
Thanks guys!
If youre shooting conicals youll definately want them . Get 1 size larger , i.e. if you got a 45 rifle use 50 cal wool wads . They seal up better .

I guess it depends on what type of bullets. I use over powder wads with flat base bullets myself. Some people even use them with sabots, Idaholewis is the best source here for that question.

I’ll be using the no excuses 420 grain. I live in Idaho so all lead conicals. I have read that this is a heated debate but...lubed wads or dry? Lol
I found some T/C over the powder wads that are dry in .54. Might have to snag those to give them a try.

Last edited:
Lubed or not lubed wads I have not found a difference in using either. I think people were afraid the lubed ones may contaminate the powder if they were seated on top of the powder for a long time. I have not found this to be an issue, but, if you are concerned the choice is simple buy unlubed you won’t regret it.

Just curious, why load the wad separate? I've always pushed the wool/veggie wad in first, made sure it wasn't cockeyed, then seated the bullet on top and pushed the combo to the powder.
Just the way I was taught. Either way will work I guess and nothing wrong with either, unless the wad would get sideways somehow, then with the bullet on top of it there's no way to correct except shoot it out our pull it if not fully seated.

Just curious, why load the wad separate? I've always pushed the wool/veggie wad in first, made sure it wasn't cockeyed, then seated the bullet on top and pushed the combo to the powder.
Using wads (veggie) with everything I shoot, I use the same process. With a good loading jag, one not crazy smaller than the bore, it will keep the wad straight. Once the flat base of the bullet contacts the wad, it will remain orientated properly until both are seated. Using a WITNESS MARK is a MUST and not an option.

I am a believer in the use of Felt wads in both in-line and flintlocks. In line shooting with a wad behind the sabot may seem like over kill but I think the wad protects the base of the sabot and being lubed (wonder wad) allows multiple shots between running a few patches thru the bore. Multiple shots as in bench time. I know a few shooters who go as far as lubed cork wads in their in lines. Good Thread

With my Grease Groove, And Copper Jacketed it doesn’t matter if i Send the Bullet and Wad Combo Together Down the Bore.

Paper Patch, with SHARP Bases is why i got in a Habit of sending the Wad Down By itself, then the Bullet By itself. Pushing them Down Together (Tight Fitting Vege/Card Type Wads) I Can’t Feel a Paper Jacket Failure? The Wad is so tight going down that even if i push the Bullet through the Paper Jacket I don’t feel it? This has happened to me 2 Times. I didn’t catch 1 of them and Shot it, the other one i caught when i lifted the Rod out of the Barrel, the Paper Jacket was on my Jag. I did NOT feel this Happen either Time due to the TIGHT fitting Vege Fiber/LDPE Wad
Qd1Q37pl.jpg

Back