Wal Mart powder horn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th Corps

Reaction score
I posted in another thread that I was looking to assemble my own powder horn when I ran across one being sold on Wal Marts web site.
I just got it in the mail this week.
Total cost was about $26, including shipping and sales tax.
It's not the prettiest thing but should get the job done.
Here are some photos.
007.jpg008.jpg010.jpg

Nice looking kit, all the rough work of cleaning up the horn and polishing is done.
Lots of potential. Lots of pics of finished horns out there to give you idea's if you want to make changes.

Yeah, I was amazed too. I guess they sell just about everything. It was labeled as made in India. At least it's not a Chinese manufactured item.
Some day I might try making my own.
I had to check it out for myself after I read your post last night. Kinda funny as to the stuff a guy can stumble upon, on Walmart's website. I may have to get one from there in the near future.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the appearance of the stopper. But I filled it with the use of a funnel and used it today at the range. It's a bit larger than I would like, but iirc Wal Mart had smaller ones for sale on their web site.

All the years I have been shooting BP I've never had one. Always dispensed from a round metal unit into the measure.

I have a couple horns but I just have them for decoration and to use during teaching of hunter safety education to explain why you should never pour powder directly into the barrel from a horn or flask.

Functions properly, looks good enough, not expensive. Sounds perfect to me.

Couple of the traditional people at the club I shoot at get pretty tight about true to period cloths and equipment. I told them I was shooting T7 with a sabot and pistol bullet. Plans are to mount a scope. They dint invite me to shoot with them. :dance:

Functions properly, looks good enough, not expensive. Sounds perfect to me.

Couple of the traditional people at the club I shoot at get pretty tight about true to period cloths and equipment. I told them I was shooting T7 with a sabot and pistol bullet. Plans are to mount a scope. They dint invite me to shoot with them. :dance:
One of the reasons I spend more time on this site then the sister one is people like you mentioned. I made the mistake of mentioning plastic wads for round balls-I found a package that my Dad had many years ago. One of the members got his panties in a wad over it-you can't mention sabots on the forum-fine, I'll go to the site where people just love to shoot blackpowder and don't care what outfits you wear.

One of the reasons I spend more time on this site then the sister one is people like you mentioned. I made the mistake of mentioning plastic wads for round balls-I found a package that my Dad had many years ago. One of the members got his panties in a wad over it-you can't mention sabots on the forum-fine, I'll go to the site where people just love to shoot blackpowder and don't care what outfits you wear.
I guess it's cool if someone wants to go all traditional and stuff but some of those guys over there are too fanatical about it, OMG!
You gotsta read da rules!

Back