Walleye Fishing in Lake Erie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
I'm looking for some recommendations for a fishing guide on Lake Erie for a Walleye fishing trip. My Brother and I have talked about it off and on for several years but never seem to get it done. We are now looking to try to actually set up a trip next Spring or Fall. This would be a Father, Son, & Uncle (I'm Uncle) trip that I think would just be so cool and I would love to see turn into a regular event for us if we can find the right guide. Talking to my Brother last night he told me he mentioned it to his Son and his response was "I'd love to get in one some of that!". My Brother and Nephew still live in SE Ohio and with my Nephew starting a new job will be limited on Vacation time. So since I am the one that lives so far away I would travel there and meet up with them to save their vacation time, plus I love to get out of Long Island on my time off anyway. The lake is about 4 hours (central Ohio part of the lake) from them but will take me a full days drive to get there.

I know there are a few members here that live in the central to northern part of Ohio.

So if you have recommendation on guides on Lake Erie, please post up your experiences with them, the websites or pm me their contact info.

Thanks!

I have a couple buddies that have boats down there for many years, one at Meinke Marina in Curtis http://meinkemarina.com/ and another at Turtle Creek http://www.turtlepointmarinaresort.com/

I can ask both about charters if you'd like, that is if you plan on going that far west?

We had a 31' slipped in MI waters for a few years then OH for a couple. Fishing can be pretty good in MI waters but better in OH waters.

ENCORE50A,

Thanks for the links!

I think my brother wanted to try for something closer to the Sandusky area or just a tad west or east of there, to limit there travel time, but we still don't know yet. The one that seems to work best with a good Rep will be who we go with in the end no matter if it is near Toledo or Cleveland. Looks like there is a lot of charters from the area your mentioning (near Toledo), Port Clinton, and as far east as Loraine (near Cleveland). More than I actually expected.

I have been doing some searches since I posted and found some that look interesting. One thing I noticed is that a few mention if you limit out on Walleye you can switch over to Perch but others seem to want to charge you more to do that, $60 to $175 more for combo! Some just want to just stay with same species and catch and release after a limit. Since the limit on Walleye is only 4 (March-April) or 6 after April then seems to me that being able to switch over to Perch would make a better trip. I like the option of switching to Perch if we were to limit on Walleye. In case you did not catch on my Family Loves to eat Fish! :D The fees look about the same for most all of them. Also seems that the later in the season the Walleye move from west to east so guess that will play into who we can go with once we decide what time of year will work with all of us. We were thinking of either May(earliest), or later in Sept-Oct (Latest) 2019 since most all of us have vacations already planned out this year..

This is one I saw out of Port Clinton and don't charge for combo.

https://seabreezecharters.com/index.php

Thanks again!

Like most walleye everywhere, they move during the year and certainly in Erie. Once the group spawns in the Maumee, they'll have closed mouths for a couple days, then its back on. As the water warms, its traditional to have to move east for them. Main reason we moved from MI waters to OH water marinas. Hard to beat the spawn on the reefs for monster eyes, but you have to battle the crowds too. Around the islands is some of the best smallmouth fishing anywhere for numbers. We used to just hammer the eyes all year, or until we could get on the perch. They don't make them anymore, but I couldn't count the number of walleyes I caught on John-L weight forward spinners.
Good luck with your dates and charter. You'll have a blast.

Latest posts

Back