Wanted Keilbasi Recipe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Hello all, i am in need of a good smoked keilbasi recipe. If anyone would like to share, it would be great. Ty Shorty...

Again, i thank you Mr Tom. I truly love a good keilbasi also. I used to get it out of a small butcher shop in Pennsylvania, but unfortunately the man passed away a couple years ago. So now i have to fend for myself, I will try this recipe. It seems we share like taste buds for smoked meats. Thanks again shorty...

Forgot to mention, have an easy pickling recipe. Be it a quart jar or gallon jug. First i grill the keilbasi, then cool it. Cut it up as you like. Fill jar full of meat, add red pepper, i add 11/2 ounces to a gallon jug. Add garlic powder, onion powder, a couple of bay leaves, and anything else your heart desires. Fill jug chuck full with APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. Shake jar to mix, place in fridge for a couple of weeks. This is super good with a cold beer and some sharp cheese/crackers for a snack at night..we have been pickling for years. Take with us on fishing/hunting trips, awesome good eats...works good for pickled eggs also...

This recipe has been in my family I guess forever. My grandmother came from Poland and I'm guessing it's where it came from.
25 lbs ground pork butt
6 ounces salt
4 ounces sugar
2 ounces COURSE ground pepper
6 ounces fine chopped garlic
( a 6-8 oz jar of the chopped from the grocery works just as well )
1.5 ounces mustard seed
1.5 cups water
All measurements are by weight
Mix well , refrigerate over night, mix again , then stuff into hog casings, you can add the required amount of pink curing salt if smoking, i believe its a teaspoon per 5lb of meat, we only use it if we're smoking it. Its awesome fresh or smoked. Smoke till a 160 degrees internal temp is reached, then plunge into a ice water bath

This recipe has been in my family I guess forever. My grandmother came from Poland and I'm guessing it's where it came from.
25 lbs ground pork butt
6 ounces salt
4 ounces sugar
2 ounces COURSE ground pepper
6 ounces fine chopped garlic
( a 6-8 oz jar of the chopped from the grocery works just as well )
1.5 ounces mustard seed
1.5 cups water
All measurements are by weight
Mix well , refrigerate over night, mix again , then stuff into hog casings, you can add the required amount of pink curing salt if smoking, i believe its a teaspoon per 5lb of meat, we only use it if we're smoking it. Its awesome fresh or smoked. Smoke till a 160 degrees internal temp is reached, then plunge into a ice water bath
If using venison use a 50/50 mix of venison to pork butt. If not it still come out tasting good but it'll be very dry

Wow, thank you Makinsmoke!! That recipe looks awesome, and to give us a family recipe is totally the awesomest. Going to try with pride. Will let u know when and how i make out. Your the best, shorty...

Wow, thank you Makinsmoke!! That recipe looks awesome, and to give us a family recipe is totally the awesomest. Going to try with pride. Will let u know when and how i make out. Your the best, shorty...
Its really good, and so few ingredients. Im from PA , kielbasa was a regular on the dinner table, especially around Christmas and Easter. Dont forget your big jar of horseradish. Make sure you use course ground pepper, or it'll be pepper hot ( wonder how I know..lol )

Thats were i used to get it. In carbondale pa. Carey's butcher shop. Best people ever, loved the owners and their children, and the grand children. Super people!!

Thats were i used to get it. In carbondale pa. Carey's butcher shop. Best people ever, loved the owners and their children, and the grand children. Super people!!
I grew up near Nanticoke, not far away at all

Mr.Ourway 77. I am part bohemian, i guess that's where i get my taste for keilbasi and smoked foods. I am very sorry for the pain you carry of loosing a son. All i can say is that it lessens some as the good memories take over. I feel for you, keep the faith even though it may be hard at times. Enjoy your golden years by sucking up as much mother nature as you can, and of coarse a little target practice makes the heart grow fonder. My best wishes to a great guy....shorty

Back