Wanting to get into Smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the smokeless scene. Haven't gotten a rifle yet. Seems the initial cost can be a bit but I'm looking at the best budget options to get started. Where should I look? Is there websites that sell smokeless builds I could look into? Thanks for the help!

Cghost, I am new to smokeless as well and just put together my first using a prefit brux from hankins. It shoots amazing. So, I'm not sure of your budget, but I had a rifle I wasn't shooting. I spun the barrel off and installed the prefit, boom, .45 cal smokeless muzzleloader. Contact either arrowhead or hankins...

Here is my setup, started as a Remington 6.5 creedmoor barreled action in a bergara hmr stock. Put on the hankins .45cal brux prefit with the v2 brake, timney 2stage trigger, gen1 vortex razor mil... it's shooting ragged holes at 100yds and I have taken it to 600yds easily. I plan to take it further soon. Should easily be able to hunt from 400 to 500 yds.

Attachments

• 20221015_122642.jpg
    20221015_122642.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I just sent my 700ml barreled action off to McGowan. They just ask that you send them the bolt and the breech plug you want to use. You are looking at a 10+ week turn around or at least that is what I was told.
Thats awesome news. Man when I ordered my barrel for my .40 SML from Brux it took 12 wks just to get the barrel alone.

Thats awesome news. Man when I ordered my barrel for my .40 SML from Brux it took 12 wks just to get the barrel alone.
My boss tried to order a Brux this summer for his 300 win mag, I can't remember if they didn't give him a turn around time for the barrel but I want to think they were over a year out this summer.

I just sent my 700ml barreled action off to McGowan. They just ask that you send them the bolt and the breech plug you want to use. You are looking at a 10+ week turn around or at least that is what I was told.
Alright, I'll admit that I'm an old geezer, a bit of a purist I guess. I shoot a left handed Tennessee Mountain Rifle flintlock. If I want to go smokeless, I shoot my .243 Win for deer and my .338 Federal for elk. If you want to feel what it was like in the back when, why don't you use what they use back when? OK, I'm ready for the arguments. Go ahead.

Alright, I'll admit that I'm an old geezer, a bit of a purist I guess. I shoot a left handed Tennessee Mountain Rifle flintlock. If I want to go smokeless, I shoot my .243 Win for deer and my .338 Federal for elk. If you want to feel what it was like in the back when, why don't you use what they use back when? OK, I'm ready for the arguments. Go ahead.
I dont want to feel what it was like in the back when. I want to shoot a highly accurate, very clean, Modern Muzzleloader, with a powerful scope that helps me be the best shooter that i can be if i put in the effort. Nothing against old school side locks and flintlocks, once upon a time they were new and not traditional. I might go so far as to say ‘if YOU want to “feel what it was like in the back when” you should put up that lefty and make your own bow and arrows, dress up in animal skins and have a good time. But we dont judge each other here, over what and how we shoot. We leave that for the other ML forums. If you would like, i can give you a link to the traditional MLsites.
ps: you dont really sound like a purist at all, just judgmental.

Back in the day in Missouri you could only get a rifle permit or muzzleloader permit - one wasn’t good for either

Back