Wanting to get into Smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity can my TC strike Muzzleloader be converted to smokeless powder

No beating around the bush that's how they do it in Hubbard Lake!
Thank you very much appreciate you

Alright, I'll admit that I'm an old geezer, a bit of a purist I guess. I shoot a left handed Tennessee Mountain Rifle flintlock. If I want to go smokeless, I shoot my .243 Win for deer and my .338 Federal for elk. If you want to feel what it was like in the back when, why don't you use what they use back when? OK, I'm ready for the arguments. Go ahead.
I’m kinda wondering why a ”purist old geezer” even clicked on the smokeless muzzleloading forum, to begin with?

Hey guys, new to the smokeless scene. Haven't gotten a rifle yet. Seems the initial cost can be a bit but I'm looking at the best budget options to get started. Where should I look? Is there websites that sell smokeless builds I could look into? Thanks for the help!
I had my Rem Ultimate converted this past spring by a guy in IA. If you want to send me an email I will provide you with his contact information and he can answer any questions you might have about a conversion of some kind. My conversion cost around $1700, which included a 26" Brux 1:20 barrel, a two stage Timney trigger, and muzzle brake. The cost also included the Arrowhead ignition system, primer modules, and powder funnel. Buying a brand new bolt action smokeless is generally going to cost you at least twice as much. And by the way, my three shot groups at 100yrds have all been less than 1/4". I still need to stretch the legs out on it, but haven't had time to. This reminds me- it took approximately 6 months to get the rifle back. I think I sent it to him in late March, and I got it back in late September.

MICH HUNTERS: As I read the MI muzzleloader rules.... Remember Smokeless is not allowed for muzzleloader only Hunts....

Ie you can use it (in an appropriately made muzzleloader) when centerfire is on... Ie during the regular gun season but no smokeless powder load in muzzleloaders during any muzzleloader only season in Michigan.

Yours

Tom

Last edited:
MICH HUNTERS: As I read the MI muzzleloader rules.... Remember Smokeless is not allowed for muzzleloader only Hunts....

Ie you can use it (in an appropriately made muzzleloader) when centerfire is on... Ie during the regular gun season but no smokeless powder load in muzzleloaders during any muzzleloader only season in Michigan.

Yours

Tom

Based on the data from the manufacturer, BH209 is 83% smokeless powder.

https://blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/2022-Blackhorn-209-SDS.pdf

Sometimes what they don't know won't hurt them
They read these posts. Think not? Well in MI, they know about Hankins shooting 4,000fps smokeless, which is why we'll likely never have SML allowed.

If they even think that you may be using SML during the muzzleloader season, they will find out. I can't afford to have my custom confiscated by the DNR.

All kinds of CFs or is there restrictions such as case length and type? Reason i ask is even a Scout conversion can get pretty close to 458Win Mag ballistics with a 300gr bullet.

All kinds of CFs or is there restrictions such as case length and type?
Mainly pistol calibers and many straight walls. The 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster being the most popular. There is a length restriction. 45/70 arent legal i think. I have a 450BM, too. But i dont see the sense in allowing one but not the other. Then again, it is politics…

True to some extent but 2500fps+ with a 300gr bullet is far better than a 450BM can achieve. Imagine launching one of the higher BC 300gr bullets at about 2500fps. Its lethal range is in a whole other category compared to a typical 450BM 250gr SST load.

Yet it is all rather silly when you can legally do better with BH209 and a 40cal shooting a 250gr bullet. Thats an easy 2300fps for some rifles and a BC over .350. A 225gr will break 2500fps no problem using BH209.

Last edited:
Back