Water Bottles -- Two Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These bottles were retrieved from the recycling bin, and filled with water. They were carried out about 330 yard. Both bullets weigh 55 grain. Both powder charge were 27 grain CFE. Elevation dial on scope is marked in yards. Before shooting, elevation dial was turned up to about 330 yards for both bullets. Bullet performance was notably different.

The full metal jacket bullet made two hits on the bottle. Second hit knocked the bottle over. Video1 fmj Video2 fmj

The Varmageddon bullet knocked the bottle over with one hit. Varmageddon Video

The Varmageddon clearly had more energy on target. Very nice videos.

Difference in violent expansion varmint bullet and a fmj on impact.

pretty cool to watch it on the videos, good work.

I tried a similar experiment years ago that I wrote up for the now de funked Varmint Hunter Magazine. I used old hunting magazines with tin siding in between each magazine. The FMJ just kept on penetrating with no indication of expansion. The TNT I used only made it a few layers before turning to powder.

Don't be fooled into thinking a FMJ wont kill game. I used one on a pig in Myakka City FLA. once and it dropped like a rock.

Found another empty bottle; filled it with water.

Found another bullet; 65g Sierra GameKing; loaded it with a powder charge of 26g CFE powder. Carried the bottle out 320 yard,

VIDEO

Back