Way to close.........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad he's ok but the "freak accident not my fault" and "I had no idea how hot these loads were" don't work together. I never shoot anything other than factory I've bought from new from the shop or handloads I've loaded myself.

I was in the local gun shop couple of weeks back and a guy had bulged his barrel (not blown it) and was trying to get a refund. He was talking on and on about how it wasn't his fault and he had no idea how it could have happened. Eventually it came out he was compressing his handloads beyond the recommended Max.

A buddy of mine sent me that video the other day. Wow!!! That guy got lucky. Good thing his dad was with him.
Glad to see his recovery is going well.
It definitely taught me a few lessons for the future.

There is a long discussion on this on a 50cal forum. Bottom line, it appears those were not original SLAP rounds, but something someone made and passed off to collectors.
Old ammo is usually safe to shoot as powder performance degrades, not increases. For those of us that shoot exotics, you really have to be aware of what the ammo was originally intended for. Some of the Warsaw Pact stuff is loaded pretty hot for their small arms.

That was an expensive, $100.00 per shot, black market, 50BMG, S.L.A.P. round lesson.

Wrecked rifle, nearly killed. Just to shoot up a fire hydrant. Common sense left in the dust in order to have FUN.

The problem with a gun like the 50BMG is boredom. You want to shoot it at the round's military capabilities. Which leads people to purchase black market S.L.A.P. rounds at $100.00 a pop that someone handloaded in their basement to God only knows what pressure levels.

What's that saying? "A fool and his money are easily parted."

Common sense left in the dust in order to have fun? People don't shoot BMG's because they're bored! They shoot them to have fun! It was a freak accident and I'm glad he lived to tell us about it. No need to take shots at him like that.

Latest posts

Back