We all have been wrong about the QLA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the rifle to hunt Colorado when their website said “shoots sabots and conicals equally well”. You notice they don’t say that any more.

AND, when there was someone to call, if you called and asked about shooting a conical, any conical, they said “The Omega is a sabot gun”.

I wonder what percentage of TC with qla shoot full bore conicals just fine , my x7 does but I know I'm in the minority.

I wonder what percentage of TC with qla shoot full bore conicals just fine , my x7 does but I know I'm in the minority.
It sounds like it's a crap shoot whether one will shoot connies well or not. Its a shame. No different than the CVA garbage with some of their higher end .45 cals and over-sized barrels.

quote:
When national shooting and hunting magazines including the national muzzleloading rifle association's magazine have maters they need clarified on regarding Thompson Center side locks they call me. Telling me I am considered the nation's foremost leading expert on T/C muzzleloaders then request clarification."

ok then ... whatever ... here I thought I was the foremost expert . 😂

It sounds like it's a crap shoot whether one will shoot connies well or not. Its a shame. No different than the CVA garbage with some of their higher end .45 cals and over-sized barrels.

What brand do you recommend that doesn’t have these quality issues?

Do you have a CVA with an oversized bore?

Last edited:
I have a TC Omega that the QLA is fine shoots both Conical s and Sabots wonderfully. I bought a Pro Hunter FX 2 years ago from Natchez, good price could not hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. I had 2 inches cut from the barrel and re-crowned, it is now a favorite brush gun when hunting thick timber. 3/4 inch group at 100 yards with the no excuse 460 grain sized at .504 on 80 grains of Swiss 1 1/2. Basically duplicates the old 50-90 Sharps round. So yes a proper QLA no issues, one that is not cut center to the bore is a Nightmare.

According to the foremost expert on everything Thompson, we are all dumbass shooters…

It is called DAS. Dumb ass shooter. When loading with a QLA people place the short starter on the ball which has not been set into the bore with a soft wooden ball starter and pop it down with the palm of their hand. because the QLA is larger than the bore the brass rod of the short starter can move off the ball and the palm pop results in the short starter being driven against the inner crown of the rifling eventually damaging it. The same applies to cleaning with a Jag. A damaged crown will not impact sabot rounds and patched round balls as greatly as it will a maxi or engraved bullet. When the QLA has been removed and the bore re-Crowned the flaws are removed.
Anyone who has a clear understanding of mill and lathe work will tell you the same thing it is near imposable to coin barrel incorrectly on a lathe as the barrel is turning not the cutter. I have modern rifles with coined barrels that shoot in excess of 1000 yards consistently. Likewise, I have won muzzleloader competitions on a national level shooting coined muzzles.
As far as being the local guru on T/C Not that it matters on the subject of machining. When national shooting and hunting magazines including the national muzzleloading rifle association's magazine have maters they need clarified on regarding Thompson Center side locks they call me. Telling me I am considered the nation's foremost leading expert on T/C muzzleloaders then request clarification.
I can bring millions of people who think Joe Biden is a genus. Does that make it true?
Awesome post. I truly understand where you are coming from. I have saved and if I need in put I will be heading your way. Thanks again

Well i have to come clean here on this T/C QLA. Its on my Blk. Dia. XR Express, its a .50 1:28 twist. I am a mushroom ;) ! I seemed to have luck on my side using it. I managed to get 2" groups with prb n 70 gr powder at 75 yards. I also shoot sabots n it does mod at 125 yds. I have not shot farther than that with it yet. Through the years i have heard lots of scuttlebut about this subject. Reading here on the Thread i have gained just a little more on the learning curve of QLA's

Someone forgot to tell my TC Black Diamond that the QLA is an awful thing. With another shooter behind the stock, my rifle makes 1.25" five shot groups at 125 yards using that awful Shooters World powder and the 200 grain SST in the blue crush rib sabot.

My Encore with it's awful QLA makes 1.75-2" three shot groups at 125 yards with me behind the stock.

My range don't have butts at 100 yards because of a water feature located there.

Someone forgot to tell my TC Black Diamond that the QLA is an awful thing. With another shooter behind the stock, my rifle makes 1.25" five shot groups at 125 yards using that awful Shooters World powder and the 200 grain SST in the blue crush rib sabot.

My Encore with it's awful QLA makes 1.75-2" three shot groups at 125 yards with me behind the stock.

My range don't have butts at 100 yards because of a water feature located there.
Okie,
The QLA does NOT affect sabots, only full bore conicals, and then only if the QLA is cut non concentric to bore.

Latest posts

Back