Weaver or Burris rings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rings that i would AVOID are Leupold PRWs, I have had them, They are SOLID DURABLE. My Complaint is the Top Ring Half, There is no way to get the Ring Half over the Tube without Scratching/Marring the Scope finish, For whatever Reason, Leupold made those Ring halves EXTREMELY TIGHT?? Once you get the Ring half “Snapped” Over the Tube you can Move them. I am not the only complaint, you can read plenty of Negative Reviews on this Same thing with the PRWs, I got rid of the Last set of those not long ago, I would never have them again.

And way more than i want to spend on rings i dont have to get. Plus those are 30mm and i dont think NF sells 1" rings.

Nightforce is Expensive No Doubt about it! I paid 200 Bucks for those Rings, Close to another 100 For that Bubble level Ring Half, And i ended up going with a Nightforce 20 MOA Rail Which was another 130 Bucks.

That puts me Near 450 Bucks for Nightforce Extreme Duty Rings, and Extreme Duty Rail, SPENDY! Are they better than other stuff I have? I don’t think so? In fact i would LOVE to put my Leupold Mark 4s up against them ANY Day for a Durability Test. I don’t Regret Buying the Nightforce, I am VERY Pleased with their Stuff, it’s just SPENDY.

When using the Leupolds, I lap the top halves at the same time as the bottoms. No problems marking the scopes.

When using the Leupolds, I lap the top halves at the same time as the bottoms. No problems marking the scopes.

The only ones I’ve had trouble with were the PRW’s, Are you talking about those? I’ve had ZERO problems with ANY other Leupolds, And I’ve owned a BOAT LOAD of them over the Years, I am a DIEHARD Leupold Guy :lewis: Just not Fascinated with these PRWs. You would Literally need to Bend/Spread the Top Ring half to keep from Having to “PUSH” Them Over the Tube, Scratching/Marring the Scope Tube Finish

Leupold PRWs
O3HLHNlm.jpg

Instructions included with the rings explain.

I don’t remember seeing anything about that with my PRW 1s? They make a PRW2 That corrected the Tight Top Ring Half

PRW 2
While these may look like the original PRW's, looks can be deceiving. We took this tried-and-true design and made a few upgrades, which include a new easy-installation ring-top design

Brownwells has TPS rings on sale. These are supposed to be excellent rings too.
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...ings/tsr-picatinny-scope-rings-prod17361.aspx
TSR Series Rings, precisely machined from an aluminum billet, with tolerances held to .0002", give maximum scope/ring contact. Holds scope securely against recoil. Four-screw cap lets you align the reticle, tighten the left side of the cap, then the right side without the scope rotating. Radiused edges and corners help prevent snagging while providing attractive appearance. Large, clamp-nut lets you torque rings to Mil-STD 1913 (Picatinny) bases.
l_100000951_2.jpg

Warnes has width listed. Standard Warnes are .705 wide. The 3 screw is .865 wide but also way more $$$ if you can still find them. Horizontal has no spec sheet i can find. Not even in the 2019 catalog but they do look slightly wider.

BTW after checking around Natchez looks to have some of the best pricing. Brownwells is good too. I got $11.50 in Cabelas bucks so that would be great if i can find what i want there. So i need to find a better spec sheet on the Horizontals and the Vortex Pros.

The only ones I’ve had trouble with were the PRW’s, Are you talking about those? I’ve had ZERO problems with ANY other Leupolds, And I’ve owned a BOAT LOAD of them over the Years, I am a DIEHARD Leupold Guy :lewis: Just not Fascinated with these PRWs. You would Literally need to Bend/Spread the Top Ring half to keep from Having to “PUSH” Them Over the Tube, Scratching/Marring the Scope Tube Finish

Leupold PRWs
O3HLHNlm.jpg
[ I was referring to the regular turn in bases. Sorry my ignorance. I can see where the prw s would have to snap over the tube.

Having posting problems. Regular Leupold rings. My ignorance on the PRWs. They would absolutely have to snap over the tube.

If the top ring half does not "Slip" easily over the scope tube there is a simple fix for that. 2 things I do is to take a Dremel and sanding drum to the inside edge and chamfer the ends of the ring half that might contact the scope. Tip 2, Put the ring half on a solid surface (screw Flats down) and smack it a little whack (on the top of the ring) with a mallet to "spread" it open just a little. It don't usually take a real had whack. It should just drop onto the scope and then just put it all together.

Hey GM54, How come no mention of the Leupold Mark 4 Rings? In my humble opinion they are about as good as Rings Get. You can get them in 1” or 30MM, Aluminum or Steel. I feel my Leupold Mark 4s are EVERY Bit as good as these New MUCH more Expensive Nightforce Rings. I wish that Leupold would offer more Height options like Nightforce. There is a BIG JUMP From their Medium to Highs, Where Nightforce fills that Gap with 2 more Height options. You can Find SUPER Deals on these at Midway, Optics Planet, EuroOptics etc. I have seen a Few on Ebay go for 50-60 Bucks

Leupold has them Listed at 225.00
https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/mark-4-1-inch-medium

But you can Find them MUCH MUCH Cheaper, I’ve seen them as low as 60-80 Bucks. These are DEFINITELY my Favorite Rings, i Would Buy these OVER the Nightforce i just Recently bought. I just don’t think the Nightforce Rings are ANY better? Just more Expensive.

My reasoning for Steel Bases and Steel Rings is Repeatability from Constant On/Off, Just have a Good “inch” pound Torque Wrench such as The Nightforce 68 inch Pounds (By Seekins) or Leupold’s 65 inch Pound Wrench, Also made by Seekins. Since i Shot Real Blackpowder i Needed to Remove my Scope after each Shooting Session. These 1/2” Hex Head, Cross Slots are REALLY SLICK for LOTS of ON/OFF, Returning to Zero

My preference is the nut or whatever that holds the ring down is not part of the cross block that goes in the base slot. The dual torx design on the Warnes Horizontal and Vortex just looks more secure to me. They are wider than Warnes MAXIMA...5/8 is .833 and my Maxima are .705 so its super temping for the price.

The TPS are really popular rings though. Their topend rings have 2 cross blocks machined into the bottom of the ring and dual torx to hold the ring to the base. 30mm only :cool:
p_100036960_1.jpg

Called Warnes and Vortex

Warnes Horiziontals are the same width as the Maxima .705

Vortex Pro rings are .730 wide and Vortex Precision rings are made by Seekins according to the Rep.

Seekins
0010610002---scope-rings-1in-004_1.png

Vortex Precision
37410-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Hey GM54, How come no mention of the Leupold Mark 4 Rings? In my humble opinion they are about as good as Rings Get. You can get them in 1” or 30MM, Aluminum or Steel...………...

I've used Leupold Mark4 rings on my Ultimate and now use them on my custom .45cal. Now both these rifles are HEAVY RECOILING rifles. The rings have always held perfectly. Now the old Leupold VX6 not so much.

That is way too much dough for me to spend on rings.

So atm looking at mediums to use with the Warnes bases. Lows in what i want are back ordered at most places for both Warnes and Vortex. That leaves me with PRW2s that do everything i want and they are steel or i can go TPS from Brownwells on sale. Cabelas though dont stock the PRW2 at all but they got the Vortex Pro medium in stock.

Think i found the Warnes Horz. on Amazon for almost as cheap now.

I took the Warnes mediums off the SavPac45. Eye relief feels tight to me on 3x unless i move the scope forward. I would like this much more with the front ring about 3/4" more forward so its further away from the turret.
y5Ryh3b.jpg

Y3JUI7C.jpg

Got a deal on the Vortex Pro series rings for under $40 shipped. Cabelas has a "today only sale" for %10 off and and free shipping. Plus i had $11.80 in points. I needed another set of lows anyway. Never liked the mediums im using with the Redfield 33mm obj scopes. So i got a backup plan for a backup plan. :p

Now all i need are slightly longer screws for the Lehigh base to wrap that up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back