Weaver or Burris rings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a deal on the Vortex Pro series rings for under $40 shipped. Cabelas has a "today only sale" for %10 off and and free shipping. Plus i had $11.80 in points. I needed another set of lows anyway. Never liked the mediums im using with the Redfield 33mm obj scopes. So i got a backup plan for a backup plan. :p

Now all i need are slightly longer screws for the Lehigh base to wrap that up.

GOOD DEAL! Those Vortex Rings look Good :lewis: Maybe they got those right, and they won’t Break like their Scopes do? :p All joking aside, I know people that Love, and Swear by Vortex EVERYTHING.

Have to go to Menards tomorrow and there just happens to be a gunsmith on the way with an assortment of base screws. So the 1 piece can go back on.

Actually liked the Warnes Horiz better. They are STANAG (NATO) dimensions for the top of the base but the Vortex rings are wider. Neither BP or Cabelas stock them in 1" :(.

https://warnescopemounts.com/warne-scope-mounts-dealer-reference-guide-v5/
Designed to fit both Picatinny and Weaver-type bases, and are STANAG 4694 compatible for better return-to-zero capability and rigidity.

Red and blue indicate contact points.
Picatinny-vs-NATO-rail-1.jpg

I just noticed the Vortex Pro rings are STANAG/NATO style. They are not machined with the 2 top angles. Only 2 on the bottom and the flat top.
B82v0WI.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed the Vortex Pro rings are STANAG/NATO style. They are not machined with the 2 top angles. Only 2 on the bottom and the flat top.

School me here GM54, I didn’t know anything about this STANAG/NATO Stuff? I just thought all Rails were Basically the Same? Looking at the NATO RAIL/Grabber Face pic above, it appears the Ring is “Pulled Down” more on Top of the Rail as you Torque the Ring onto the Rail?

As I’ve stated, I ABSOLUTELY Love the 1/2” Crossbolt Like These Nightforce, and Leupold Mark4s, With a 65-68 inch pound Torque Wrench, they are EASILY ON/OFF and Repeatable Zero Held OVER N OVER. I personally wouldn’t trust the Aluminum Version Rings, I’m talking Steel Rings, on Steel Bases

Contact surface on NATO is bottom 2 angles and flat top surface. On Weaver and 1913-STD all the contact pressure is on the angled cuts. The base of the rings does not touch the top on the Weaver or 1913-STD bases.

If you look at the Seekins rings they too are NATO style.
SP0010620006_00.jpg

Badger Ordnance are also NATO
30608.1.jpg

On a side note the smith i went by yesterday did not have the screws i wanted. He only had them in std flat screw driver and i wont use those on base mount screws. He had some Weaver in TORX but was out of the HEX/Fillister head 6-48s except some really long ones. I really wanted TORX in FIllister just like the Warnes screws but HEX is acceptable.

FIllister are flat contact with the base. Weaver are a 45 degree bevel. I think Badger and Loopie have exactly what i want.

Contact surface on NATO is bottom 2 angles and flat top surface. On Weaver and 1913-STD all the contact pressure is on the angled cuts. The base of the rings does not touch the top on the Weaver or 1913-STD bases.

If you look at the Seekins rings they too are NATO style.
SP0010620006_00.jpg

Badger Ordnance are also NATO
30608.1.jpg

These Badger Ordnance look REALLY Good!! :lewis:

I actually prefer the 2 TORX for base instead on the single nut. Its mostly just a personal preference. The cross bar in the ring is part of the ring. Its machined into it. When you have a single nut its part of the NUT/BOLT. Both work when made well i just prefer the 2 TORX.

TPS XRT would be my choice if i was gunna blow the wad on rings. Dual machined in crossbars.
p_100036960_1.jpg

Ok i worked out the base screw i think. I emailed Lehigh also but it was late yesterday. I was looking at stuff on Numrich and they list a Knight rear sight screw as 6-48x1/4. Well i just happen to have one right infront of me from the 45 1-20 rear sight. My cheap cam was good enough to get a good view and...........Its looks like what i need for this base. The Warnes screw was only grabbing about 3 threads.

It appears the 6-48x1/4 will grab maybe 5 threads.
FigsU75.jpg

jKWd12B.jpg

zLxK20q.jpg

eeokfBq.jpg

That is quite a bit of difference in holding power I would think.

I probably got 6 of those Knight screws around here but i just cant use them on a base i will loctite. That would be a nightmare if one was a bugger coming out.

I like steel but not on a aluminum base. Steel on steel or aluminum on aluminum. I would have gone with Warnes Horizontal (steel) but most places are out of lows and it turns out they are not as wide. If i could have found a steel extended 2 piece set i would have only considered steel rings. Noone offers extended 2 piece bases for Knights anymore and none of them used all 3 rear mount holes. I had a set on an Elite 45 i sold but i forgot who made them.

Got new screws coming from Buckeye Tactical aka Buckeye Optics. They sell some highend rings/rails and 20 screws were just $10 shipped. That is cheaper than Brownwells wants for almost twice as many screws and these are torx.

Got the 2 front screw shortened but i got some in SS coming anyway. These .240" long thread fit the rear holes great though and dont go all the way through. Fronts need shortened around 20 thousandths.
Uviwu2Z.jpg

Went ahead and bedded the base with JB Weld. Cleaned it up a little more after the pic too.
WYYjlJC.jpg

WDfGy3O.jpg

Looks good GM54 :lewis: You gotta be CLOSE to Pulling the Trigger on that BAD BOY Huh?

Rings are still backordered.

Im about ready to drive the 30 miles to our local Cabelas and tell them i want a pair they have in stock. Why cant they ship me a set in a store vs the warehouse? They were supposed to ship the 27th. Vortex dont even have them in stock but claims they have been shipping them out as fast as they get them.

On a side note.....Farrell makes pretty much exactly the base i would like in steel for around $120. Only place i can find one is direct from Farrell.

Rings are still backordered.

Im about ready to drive the 30 miles to our local Cabelas and tell them i want a pair they have in stock. Why cant they ship me a set in a store vs the warehouse? They were supposed to ship the 27th. Vortex dont even have them in stock but claims they have been shipping them out as fast as they get them.

On a side note.....Farrell makes pretty much exactly the base i would like in steel for around $120. Only place i can find one is direct from Farrell.

I hear ya! I HATE Ordering stuff, if i can drive within reasonable distance I ALWAYS prefer going and getting what i need.

Farrell?? I had never even heard of them until you mention them here? I just Looked them up, And found something i CAN’T Live Without :) THANKS GM54! You have a Cool way of helping me Part ways with Cash :D

Well the rail popped right off the action this morning. Johnsons paste wax works fine as a release agent. I made sure the action and screws all had a good coating of it. Even put a little in the screw holes. Got it all wiped down with acetone. Aint not gaps now under that base now. It was super tiny to start with but it had just the slightest gap in front.

Just need to let it finish curing and loctite it all down.

The discount deal was for online orders only. In store them rings are $55-$59 plus the gas to go get them. I was hoping Grafs would have the Speer 260gr bullets by now but they are still out or i would just go get a set. Its just a couple minutes away from Cabelas.

Farrells has some nice looking bases but im not totally thrilled they left a bedding groove in the center of the rail. What i really like is they use beveled Weaver type screws that center the rail when you tighten it down. If you look at most of their bases they only have the cross slots where you need them. Center of the rails under where the scope turret would be is solid. Not much sense in having cross slots under the turret unless you just want to save some weight.

The discount deal was for online orders only. In store them rings are $55-$59 plus the gas to go get them. I was hoping Grafs would have the Speer 260gr bullets by now but they are still out or i would just go get a set. Its just a couple minutes away from Cabelas.

Farrells has some nice looking bases but im not totally thrilled they left a bedding groove in the center of the rail. What i really like is they use beveled Weaver type screws that center the rail when you tighten it down. If you look at most of their bases they only have the cross slots where you need them. Center of the rails under where the scope turret would be is solid. Not much sense in having cross slots under the turret unless you just want to save some weight.

Most of your High end Rails are gonna have that little bedding groove down the Center. My Murphy’s Precision did, and my Nightforce.

Latest posts

Back