Weigh your powder.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Much for Shooting my Disc Elite too many conflicting Ideas here some Say You Have To Others Say Not Really and So On Will Stick with my Center Cartridge Rifles just to many things to get an Accurcate / Tight Grouping ML when I get that With my Other Rifles and just slide in a Cartridge. Guess ML is not for All Just those that have the Scales and Time to get It Right... Doubt I will be back and maybe why I left years back . A lot to do just to squeeze the Trigger on a Muzzleloader.
LFM

Did anybody say you HAD to do either, or? Do as you please! Nobody that I know of cares what you do? The above is nothing more than advice, Take it or leave it

Last edited:
Weighing for me is simply more convenient. Ive got a Chargemaster 1500 combo and lots of tubes. Push a button and fill a tube...Its that easy to have loads within .1gr of each other. The only thing easier would be a Culver type like the Redding 3BR or Harrells. I would use those in a instant if i had one. Pull a lever and fill a tube.

Weighing for me is simply more convenient. Ive got a Chargemaster 1500 combo and lots of tubes. Push a button and fill a tube...Its that easy to have loads within .1gr of each other. The only thing easier would be a Culver type like the Redding 3BR or Harrells. I would use those in a instant if i had one. Pull a lever and fill a tube.

I sure wish i had kept my Redding 3BR, I sold it Several years ago on The CB Site. The only thing i used it for was Pistol Loading, and i had pretty much got out of Pistol Shooting. The Darn things are close to 200 Bucks. I also had a Redding BR-30 at one time. I wish i had some of the Stuff back that I’ve gotten rid of over the years :wall:

I have never heard of that Harrels? I will have to look in to them :lewis:

Top shelf Harrells are around $300. The Redding for the money is a good value and supposed to be better than the next step down like the RCBS. Pretty sure Ron was using the Redding at one time.

RCBS offers one for black powder too. Part Number: 98842.... Yeah you still need a scale to calibrate and its good to double check your powder "drops" but its pretty stinking simple to use. .5gr difference wont mean squat for most hunters using subs or real black.

All my tubes have graduation marks on them so i dont even bother to dbl check my loads from the Chargemaster. Couple taps and look at the tube. I can fill my range box with enough BH209 or smokeless loads in under 30min.

So Much for Shooting my Disc Elite too many conflicting Ideas here some Say You Have To Others Say Not Really and So On Will Stick with my Center Cartridge Rifles just to many things to get an Accurcate / Tight Grouping ML when I get that With my Other Rifles and just slide in a Cartridge. Guess ML is not for All Just those that have the Scales and Time to get It Right... Doubt I will be back and maybe why I left years back . A lot to do just to squeeze the Trigger on a Muzzleloader.
LFM
Hey, I mostly measure by volume too. I will check weights from time to time just to confirm Im staying close and when I buy a new can of powder. No one is judging. If they are then they can "pound sand". Any way, if you really are fed up with ML'ing. I would be happy give your DE a new home. Or if not, i too live in SE Mich. Maybe we can get together at a range and shoot some.

LFM
I feel your pain, LFM, if you're still here reading this. Sometimes I feel like giving up on this game too, but then I remember the primary reasons I got into in the first place. 1.) Here in Colorado, they give us a dedicated nine day ML season (albeit we have to share the field with bowhunters) for elk during the rut. It is a HUGE advantage when the animals are talking and giving away there whereabouts, and once in a while they even come in to my calls. September is my favorite time of year to be in the mountains with the cool nights and warm days. Rare for it to snow where I hunt. You can keep your deep snow and cold weather! 2.) The licenses are quite limited, so generally we don't see too much competition in the field, and some years we have quite large areas all to ourselves. If only there were less hunters applying for my area, I could get an either sex license more often then every three or four years!
So, for me, the advantages justify all the hassles I go through, and they definitely are many, to hunt with a ML.
As to the OP topic, I'm not saying whether I weigh or measure my powder by volume. It's actually quite amusing to read you guys haggle over it!

As far as time goes, it took me 25 min to weigh 24 charges before my last range trip. That was start to finish, calibrating the scale, checking it every 6 charges, labeling the tubes, and packing it all up. For me that's faster than throwing consistent volume charges with the brass tube measure, and less messy. With more practice I could probably speed up either method, but see no reason to stop weighing

I hunt in West Texas and I have been weighing all my loads of BH209 and storing them with bullet and sabot in Lanes tubes. We hunt primarily from box blinds and most of our shots are 125 to 150 yds. Each to his own, but I'm far more concerned about hitting a big deer etc at that range than missing a target at 300ydss.. Believe me tracking a wounded animal in that country is no fun. Using the tubes is a much simpler reload

I bought a scale once, checked my accuracy and promptly returned it because there was no need.

Latest posts

Back