weighing charge(s) after measurement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

I’m new to this website and there’s a lot of people I’ve noticed that do a lot of “critical thinking” both in gear and procedure..... just load the gun and shoot you’ll be fine. The most inaccurate modern muzzleloader shoots better than a 300-year-old flintlock. And I believe there’s a whole lot of game that was taken by those guns in their time.
Nothing wrong with trying to be as accurate as possible but there’s a limit. If I had checked out this website before I started muzzleloader hunting I might have thought it too much to even bother with.
Get your setup right and just enjoy. I also shoot crossbow and I’m also on a crossbow hunting forum and good God those.....people it’s unbelievable the lengths people go to to make crossbow hunting mentally inaccessible for the masses. Not purposely but the end result is sometimes there’s too much fiddling and too little music.
Totally agree. I will hand load metallic center fire rounds and work up a great shooting hunting rifle. Some of the steps folks go thru to get to that gnats ass of accuracy has me SMH. Well, each to their own. I won’t chase that rabbit.
I stopped here with my smoke pole development and some would find this unacceptable. Yes, 100 yards.

FFD65673-6304-4E17-ABE5-06BC48242FF6.jpeg

Everyone does things differently. There are no hard and fast rules for what one wants or expects from his guns, its all up to the individual. I'm retired and have plenty of time on my hands. I also like to eliminate any powder charge issues from the final equation so I weigh my powder. Does it matter? Not likely, but I weigh it any way. Its how I choose to do it. Every one else is free to do with the powder measurement any way they choose.

That's a nice group Sconnie. Doubtful anyone will find it unacceptable since 100 yard groups like that are pretty common here using smokers.

Everyone does things differently. There are no hard and fast rules for what one wants or expects from his guns, its all up to the individual. I'm retired and have plenty of time on my hands. I also like to eliminate any powder charge issues from the final equation so I weigh my powder. Does it matter? Not likely, but I weigh it any way. Its how I choose to do it. Every one else is free to do with the powder measurement any way they choose.

That's a nice group Sconnie. Doubtful anyone will find it unacceptable since 100 yard groups like that are pretty common here using smokers.
I weigh myself and the ONLY way I was able to shoot groups that size is by using info gleaned from this very forum of great shooters.......

Not being a competition shooter I just don't see the need to weigh out individual charges. Heck, the .060" fiber optic front sight I have is way more likely to affect my group size than a couple full grains of powder ever will.

I do believe there is one advantage of weighing a powder charge for us folks that just want to develop a load that we can kill a deer with at 100 yards (my "traditional" sidelock self imposed limit). When you buy a volume measure and work up a load using it, it would be a good idea to then weigh the charge and file it away. Why? Say you lose that measure. You buy another one from a different manufacturer. You can then check that the new measure throws roughly the same as the old one.

Kevin C.- Well spoken. I highly resemble that remark though when it comes to my compound bow! Haha. Especially when putting together new arrows.

Latest posts

Back