Well. That didnt work out like I planned

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a rather tired .54 Renegade flintlock with the idea of using it for a parts kit.
The lock didn't spark very well, the stock has dings typical for a rifle of its age. The bore looked ok.
Decided to shoot it first, just to see if the barrel had promise.
Welllll... YUP! At 50 yards she cut holes! No group was over an inch. The load was a .530 ball, .018 OxYoke prelubed, a .58 Ox Yoke wad and 70 grains of 3f Swiss.
Ramming the first couple balls felt a little crunchy. Oh bother...
Recovered patches looked reusable! Cleaning showed a bright, smooth bore. M stamp btw.
Soooo... Which rifle will be the parts gun?! I'm gonna probably do a mix and match and come up with a REALLY good Renegade flinter.
Another good idea spoiled by a better outcome!

You are soooooo sad over this well shooting old rifle, that several years spent in Tibet staring at a rock wall, while chanting meditative mantras to calm yourself, seems to be in order..

Because I am such a nice person, I will assume custody of your guns, especially the terrible ones, while you are away getting yourself back together. I'll be sure to shoot them everyday while you are gone, just so they don't get lonely.

Well there you go! Inflicting one with a good barrel is nature's way of punishing the unclean. As one of the unclean myself, I am warily awaiting my fate. ( I hope it's a .45 caliber.)

Latest posts

Back