Western Ignition?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
Just curious. It doesn't apply to where I hunt with my muzzleloader but can someone explain what "Western" ignition is all about?
Thanks.

Many western states prohibit using 209 primers to ignite the powder charge. In those states the a person is usually restricted to using #11 style caps or musket caps.

Welcome to the forums here too! Merry Christmas.

Most of the PACNW states that require "open ignition" systems also dont allow sabots or scopes. BUT Oregon's is not quite clear. It just states "open" unlike Idaho which specifically bans 209s during the ML season. Washington was only percussion but they allowed sabots. As of 4/2018 you can use 209 primers. Colorado is just no scopes and no sabots but any ignition system is legal.

Haven’t picked up my hard copy 2019 Regs yet, but OR 2018 Reg reads, under Muzzleloaders: “It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source, the muzzleloader must have an open ignition.”

The question is a 209 shotgun primer considered a “centerfire primer?”

We do have distinct “shotgun/muzzleloader” hunts, so there is at least some implication that shotguns and rifles are different, and thus maybe the primers are also viewed as different by ODFW.

Regards,

Buster

I'm thinking a little round primer, that fires when the pin hits it in the center, is a centerfire. "Open ignition" means that when the ml is ready to fire, you can see the cap. You may have to look closely, at just the right angle, but you can see it.

Latest posts

Back