WGRS - WESTERN PRECISION MUZZLELOADING Sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you going to use it for target shooting or Hunting? For target shooting you can’t beat them.
For hunting I don’t like them, but that’s me. I had a sight like that on my Renegade. At dusk or early morning I couldn’t see the front sight and had to pass on a couple deer in the open field. I went and replaced it with a Green Fiber Optic . Green is the first and last color you’ll be able to pickup.

Lately we have been sorta forced to use them as the better Williams FP is not available and hasn't been for awhile. They certainly work and if you were to get one mount it as far back on your rifle as you can. The downfall of the WGRS is the slide & glide method of moving the elevation and windage. For myself they certainly beat the alternative of using an open buck horn sight. But then others have mastered that exceptionally well. But again they do work. I would respectfully disagree with Ed - I would never use them for competitive target shooting.

Mike, after reading your comment on the WGRS sights I have to agree with you. What I meant to say target shooters using a front sight that uses the inserts e.g Lee Shavers etc. and a Lyman or Williams rear peep sight is what I would use for target shooting. For hunting with my Renegade, I still love my Lyman 57SML with a wide aperture or without a rear aperture insert for hunting and my Green Fiber front sight.

Mike, after reading your comment on the WGRS sights I have to agree with you. What I meant to say target shooters using a front sight that uses the inserts e.g Lee Shavers etc. and a Lyman or Williams rear peep sight is what I would use for target shooting. For hunting with my Renegade, I still love my Lyman 57SML with a wide aperture or without a rear aperture insert for hunting and my Green Fiber front sight.

Ed, even then I am not sure I would want to use the WGRS for longer range shooting if you might have to adjust the rear sight for windage or elevation because you would be certainly guessing on the amount of movement you might make. The FP on the other hand has 1/4 minute clicks.

Your Lyman 57 SML is IDEAL for longer distance shooting with the clicks and the "push button" elevation release. Just wish they made them for a Knight. When I was doing a lot of Rondy shooting with my PRB Renegades the 57 was great for shooting the longer range shooting.

This picture doesn't show it very well - but man it is a good sight.

TC-Renegade.jpg

Mike, I totally agree with you on the WGRS sight for long distance shooting. My Renegade is setup identical to yours except I have a Green Fiber Optic sight. :lewis:

Mike, I totally agree with you on the WGRS sight for long distance shooting. My Renegade is setup identical to yours except I have a Green Fiber Optic sight. :lewis:

Between you and I the Green optic is the only way to go!!! Provides such a better contrast on the target.

Are you going to use it for target shooting or Hunting? For target shooting you can’t beat them.
For hunting I don’t like them, but that’s me. I had a sight like that on my Renegade. At dusk or early morning I couldn’t see the front sight and had to pass on a couple deer in the open field. I went and replaced it with a Green Fiber Optic . Green is the first and last color you’ll be able to pickup.
for hunting. Just trying to find something my eyes can see better as I get older. And maybe doesn’t cover the target area as much at further distances. I have orange on my encore front sight now.

Lately we have been sorta forced to use them as the better Williams FP is not available and hasn't been for awhile. They certainly work and if you were to get one mount it as far back on your rifle as you can. The downfall of the WGRS is the slide & glide method of moving the elevation and windage. For myself they certainly beat the alternative of using an open buck horn sight. But then others have mastered that exceptionally well. But again they do work. I would respectfully disagree with Ed - I would never use them for competitive target shooting.
I currently use a merit adjustable aperture sight on a Williams sight mounted as far back as possible.

Latest posts

Back